LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is the new acer aspire 5920 going to have mxm?

TheGovernator

Hi, I just joined the MXM forums.

I'm an impatient Acer ex-owner and I'm considering buying a new laptop this summer. I really want it to be MXM, since it usually means that it's upgradeable (although not in every case, as most of us know).

So, Acer is launching its refreshed Aspire lineup in July. What this means is that it's Santa Rosa certified, and since it is on my "wishlist" along with ASUS G1s I have done a lot of research on both of these, though I focused slightly more on the Acer model (since I'm an ex-owner of an Acer laptop).

Now Here's the problem:

I found a Russian (!) site that wrote a review on the new Acer laptop, and since i didn't understand jack of their cyrillic alphabet, the pictures they had intrigued me the most.

What I found were two very interesting snapshots of what looked like an MXM type II card, both "out of the box", and installed.

Could someone please help me identify it?

Here's the link: (pictures are approx. halfway down the page and at the bottom)

Link

Great find!

Looks like Type II for sure..

Great find!

Looks like Type II for sure..

Here it is!!! :)

8600M%20GT.jpg

8600M%20GT(dettaglio).jpg

I have done some more research on this card...

I still am a little suprised that they managed to fit the 8600 onto a MXM type II, and the first thought that struck me was that it has to be a downside with it. The few 3DMark tests that I found on the net also showed that the Aspire 5920 was performing a bit worse than most of the few 8600GT cards that have been tested.

What I found out is that instead of using the customary GDDR3 memory, which is used on all (or at least most, for what I know) cards of this class, it uses GDDR2 memory. I guess there are many reasons, like heat envelope, limited amount of space available and cost, but I still think they could have equipped it with memory that is a little better. I'm sure that most of the pc freaks out there would pay a little extra just to get the boost in performance.

Nevertheless, I have decided to hold on to the Acer offering.

And thanks for the help.

PS: I noticed that the new santa rosa laptops from dell also have the same specs on the graphics, if they have an option for that (GF 8600GT w. 256MB GDDR2 VRAM), just as the Acer Aspire 5920.

Edited by TheGovernator