LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Monitor Flickering

GTO

hi,

i have strange problem, every time i click on the touchpad button, the monitor flickers. On some occasions, it flickers by itself and worse monitor freeze and shows up vertical lines. Is my GF card dying or something else?

Appreciate any kind of help.

cheers.

Does it do this with an external monitor or when you move the LCD?

Your LCD's flex cable might be damaged.

It does also do this from the BIOS right before an OS loads?

Calling your laptop's manufacturer's spare parts site would probably be the best place to get new LCD cables.

It's the LCD.

No, i doubt is the cable.

I dismantle and checked, no physical damage on LCD cable, connector and graphic card.

I even checked the touchpad, seemed nothing wrong, because it also flickers when using USB mouse upon clicking.

No flickering on other occasion.

Strange.

i dismantle the whole laptop to check any abnormalities, but so far no visible damage.

Checked all connectors too, all good.

I suspect either VGA card or overheating CPU/mobo components,

not sure if RAM and/or DC card could have anything to do with the flickering or not.

I reduced the speed from 1.7 (top speed on AC power) to 1.2 (batt optimized), somehow the flickers reduced.

The flicker is actually a momentary blink when touchpad is clicked or move around.

It started to appear about 10mins after power up.

Plan to replace the VGA card and see what happens. :)

Because touching the touch-pad is one cause of the flicker, I suspect a low voltage short somewhere. When the CPU/Video card heats up the short gets worse. Trying to find it could be impossible. I would also run the laptop only off battery power to eliminate a power plug problem.

now the flicker is gone, but noticed that when i run the laptop inside air conditioned room (24C). I even test the whole night, no more flickering.

So it most likely to be overheating of some sort.

I've been running with AC power all along and even switch on to CPU lower speed (1.2G instead of 1.7) just to reduce the heat.

Allthough there could be power shortage related as what you've mentioned. Tricky if it is, it could be mobo, DC board, VGA or even CPU.. :)

The fans are working by the way. I will further test on 30C environment.

Dang global warming is killing me :)

Thanks for the respond.

• 3 weeks later...
hi,

i have strange problem, every time i click on the touchpad button, the monitor flickers. On some occasions, it flickers by itself and worse monitor freeze and shows up vertical lines. Is my GF card dying or something else?

Appreciate any kind of help.

cheers.

Hey I am having the same problem (whenever typing something, flickering starts, inspiron 8500). But the flickering kills the LCD, and i have to restart the machine and sometimes restarting provides no relief, the vertical lines come up from the get go. Wonder what the issue is, Let me know if replacing your GC worked for you or not.

I also disassembled everything and checked, and no visible damage on any part of the laptop.