LaptopVideo2Go Forums

gpu upgrade

johny

hi!i'm thiking of bying an asus a7s-7s006c....everything looks good on it but i would like to upgrade the gpu in the future.is it possible?e.g to 8600gt

In most cases you should always assume the GPU in a laptop is NOT upgradeable until proven otherwise.

As for this one I doubt it unless there is a faster card option available but you don't buy it now.

So, its probably not upgradeable unless its MXM.

Also, go get yourself a proper LCD screen, not that stupid 1440x900 resolution lcd, cant run 1080p video on that, plus you will have a small desktop, especially on a 17 inch screen.

The 8600M GT isn't exactly a super expensive card, (compared to the fastest ones) so I don't see why you wouldn't get it now instead of later.

Later this year we might have 9600M GT cards....

Guest John
In most cases you should always assume the GPU in a laptop is NOT upgradeable until proven otherwise.

As for this one I doubt it unless there is a faster card option available but you don't buy it now.

So, its probably not upgradeable unless its MXM.

Also, go get yourself a proper LCD screen, not that stupid 1440x900 resolution lcd, cant run 1080p video on that, plus you will have a small desktop, especially on a 17 inch screen.

The 8600M GT isn't exactly a super expensive card, (compared to the fastest ones) so I don't see why you wouldn't get it now instead of later.

Later this year we might have 9600M GT cards....

yeah ok,if i see that the 8400m can't perform decently in a today's demanding 3d game i'll go for 8600gt or 8700gt right away.....and this is what i'm asking:does any1 know if asus a7s is mxm compliant?it just shipped (this june) so it should support it....am i wrong?

Your misguided if you think a laptop being new means it supports MXM.

A lot of big companies like Dell will probably never use it, at least not anytime soon.

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Table.html

There is one place to look for MXM support by manufacturer.

• 1 year later...