LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell 5150 GeForce FX Go5200 S-Video problem

redspecialbhm

Hi, i'm new to the forum, though reading through it seems you guys may be my salvation. I used to be able to use the S-Video out on my laptop to connect to my TV. However, this is now impossible! I have tried rolling back drivers, downloading new ones. I bought a new cable, though this clearly wasn't the problem. I am really not sure what more I can do, so I have come to ask you guys, as you are evidently more experienced than I in these matters. Hope you can help me! James.

What happens when you try to connect?

Absolutely nothing happens when I try to connect it, it will not recognise anything being connected at all.

I have just been on the Dell website, downloaded the drivers they have available on there. I uninstalled the drivers I was currently using. Installed these new ones, and it still won't work. Is there any way of knowing what the problem is and how to resolve it? James.

Make sure you are in Clone Mode in the nVidia Control Panel. That's what determines if a signal is being sent to the external monitor. If you are indeed in Clone Mode, go to the Tools page (of the nvidia control panel) and force TV detection.

If that fails, make sure the TV is set to look for a signal in its S-Video port, not one of its other ports.

If all else fails, try a different (shorter, if possible) S-Video cable. S-Video is VERY voltage-sensitive and a better or shorter cable sometimes solves the problem.

Hello again, I tried everything you suggested. I adjusted the AV settings on the TV to S-Video, and nothing happened. However, when the TV was set in RGB mode on AV1, I could make out windows moving on the laptop screen, on the TV. This was however, faint, and in red and black, which flickered across screen. I set the nVidia Control Panel to Clone mode and forced TV detection. I still can't get it working properly. Does this make it clearer to any of you guys in the know what the problem is? Many thanks for your help LSudlow, it's much appreciated. James.