LaptopVideo2Go Forums

IS my graphic card dying ? picture inside ..

lo7us

Is my amilo m3438 dying ?

Here is a screenshot :

http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...aexemplehe7.jpg

I also get a lot of flickering .

When i uninstal he drivers the picture is OK ( without e vertical lines ) but i am liited o 800 x 600 ....

What is te problem ? i e o change the video card ?

thanks

Get the original drivers for your machine, either CD or download them from Fujitsu

Install these, if it happens now then it could be dying, but do a clean install of OS before getting too discouraged as it could be old bits of drivers causing it.

i have already installed the original drivers ...the same thing .

The problem is that i get the some lines even at the startup ( first screen where you see the inel centrino pic - there are a few vertical lines right here on the picture and on windows xp loading screen ) .

But i am confused because without the drivers ( original or not ) the windows xp icons and all the stuff seems ok but is in 800x600 resolution so the confusion starts ... Reinstalling he OS should do trick , you say ? I don't want to love all my prorams ( antivirus etc. ) and see that i got the same problem .

Is there a way to re-install it without losing my personal data ( st the OS ) .

I REALLY appreciate your reply ,

thanks

If you had a spare HDD you could install windows on that, or you could try booting an Ubuntu live CD, which should boot your desktop at full resolution. (and check if the problem is there)

I'm guessing maybe a video memory failure is causing the problems at higher resolutions.

Have you checked if the cooling of the memory is ok? I had the same problems with a Geforce5600 Go. i could solve it by changing the cooling pads on the vga memory.

Yes indeed that's a dying GPU or VideoVRAM.

Your HD and all your data is not affected. Just take out the HD and connect with a 2,5" adapter to an external enclosre or DAS/NAS and you're all set.

Yes if it happens at the BIOS spash screen then it looks to be fatal.

GPU and/or memory is probably broken.

No use reinsyalling everything as it's also happening at the Splash screen.

Best thing is to get some compressed air in a can and do some removing of dust etc

see if this makes a difference.

Yes , it happens at the splash screen . Now without the drivers i managed to have a 1024 x 768 res. Is a little blurry but is better than nothing . No errors on the screen in Windows ( the splash screen errors remains the same ) , When i install the drivers ( doesn't matter what resolution i am in , but the greater the resolution the greater the flickering and frezzes )

I think i will get a 7600 from the net ( that and the 6800 fit in this notebook without modifications i think ) .

I have opened the notebook , there is no dust on the card .

• 8 months later...

Hi!

I answer to this topic because I have the same problem with my computer.

It is an ACER aspire 7520 with an integrated video card Geforce Go 7000/nforce 610. And I have some verticales lines at the start up of my computer, while the boot screen, and under windows....

Is there a solution? Flashing my video card could resolve the problem?

I have the problem since the computer is came back from the SAV...

I think it will return to it...

Have a nice day,

RockAddicted.

Yes it is a Video/GPU/VideoRAM problem. Either it's burned-out or overheating. Flashing will NOT solve this problem.

Vertical lines can also be caused by bad connections from the ribbon cable to the lcd substrate. I had this problem once b4 and it turned out to be a ribbon cable that had lifted due to heat. Might wanna check it out.

If it were simply an lcd display issue it would not show up on a printscreen (which I'm pretty sure that image is).

Gotta be a gfx problem, most likely burnt out/overheating