LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro FX 1000 Go vs. GeForce FX 5650 Go?

Guest kjmcdonald

Guest kjmcdonald

I have an Inspiron 8600 from Dell, and it has the GeForce FX 5200 Go with 64MB right now. I'm looking for something with more video memory mainly, but I figure if I'm going to upgrade I should get the best I can.

I do my own OpenGL CAD-like programming, and I play games a lot too.

From what I've found I can get the GeForce 5650, the Quadro 700, or the Quadro 1000 for it. I'm just not sure which is the best fit. I'm pretty sure both the GeForce 5650 and Quadro 700 are VN31 generation video cards. I know for CAD and Open GL the Quadro models are supposed to be better. Whereas from what I understand the GeForce are better for Games?

I guess my question is:

Is the Quadro FX 1000 Go at least as good at games as the 5650?

I ordered a 5650 from dell for $229, but I'm not sure they're going to have any to send me. Recently I found the 1000 on Ebay for around $175.

So I know it's going to be faster at OpenGL, and cheaper, but I'm curious... Will it hold it's own on games?

-Kyle

The quadro will be faster. I think it's based off the same chip as the 5700, which is a bit better than the 5650 or 5600.