LaptopVideo2Go Forums

MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 8600GTm with the new 163.44 Drivers

MacintoshMBP

I start up HL2, and my clocks are NOT ramping up from the stock 375/502MHz.

My 3dMark 2006 score is also low, being that it should be around 3600 or so. I am getting 2435 pts.

Anyhow know what the deal is?

Edited by MacintoshMBP

I start up HL2, and my clocks are NOT ramping up from the stock 375/502MHz.

My 3dMark 2006 score is also low, being that it should be around 3600 or so. I am getting 2435 pts.

Anyhow know what the deal is?

The clock speeds are probably the standard for the 8600GT which is about a go7900GS also with 375/506

yes you should be getting a higher 3D Mark score around 6000-6500 depending on which OS

What are you display setting do you have all the settings set to max performance ? this will affect the score drematically.

For benchmarking usually all the frills are turned off to get the highest score.

I've just done a Vista performance update on all the 3D Mark's have a look here but for the go7900GS which is about the same as your GPU.

The clock speeds are probably the standard for the 8600GT which is about a go7900GS also with 375/506

yes you should be getting a higher 3D Mark score around 6000-6500 depending on which OS

What are you display setting do you have all the settings set to max performance ? this will affect the score drematically.

For benchmarking usually all the frills are turned off to get the highest score.

I've just done a Vista performance update on all the 3D Mark's have a look here but for the go7900GS which is about the same as your GPU.

I turned on ATITOOL WHICH I HEAVILY RECOMMEND to show immediate settings.

It officially ramps up to the correct GPU settings, which are 470/635 (Apple's Specs)

But still, I should be getting more than 2500 3dmarks. I didn't buy 3dmark06, so it ran at it's stock settings. All other MBP's are getting 3500 or so.

ReRan it again. 2978. No Changes.

Ran it with the native screen, same score.

hmmm

Your score is not from from this one

As for the ramping, have a look in the INF (if your using the modded one) for these lines:

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PowerMizerLevel, %REG_DWORD%, 2

HKR,, PowerMizerLevelAC, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, EnableCoreSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, EnableMClkSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, EnableNVClkSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 1

Set them all to zero like this:

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, PowerMizerLevel, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, PowerMizerLevelAC, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, EnableCoreSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, EnableMClkSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, EnableNVClkSlowdown, %REG_DWORD%, 0

This will stop any ramping and should run the GPU at full speed at all times.

A reinstall will be needed for it to take affect

All of my 3DMark06 scores have been about 2850ish, and I ran all of those tests hot... I think it's about as good as it will get.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm running around where I should be.

How well do you think the 8600m drivers are coming along? Do you think we will see more improvements?

Mod- Thanks for a great site. You put alot of work into this place. Glad to be onbaord.

No worries, if I was't here I'd be a nuisance on the streets :)

The driver will probably do little more for DX9, DX10 might show a small improvement over the next few months.

Don't expect miracles.

No worries, if I was't here I'd be a nuisance on the streets :)

The driver will probably do little more for DX9, DX10 might show a small improvement over the next few months.

Don't expect miracles.

Mobilenvidia- I set everything to 0, and it goes back up to the optimal clocks now in games....weird. Driver issue, .INF issue?...weird.

Thanks a bunch.