LaptopVideo2Go Forums

[FIXED] driver por NVidia 8600M GT + problem with Halo 2

argie01

Hi,

I have a notebook Dell Vostro 1700, with an nvidia 8600M GT 256MB video card, and Vista Business.

When I play Halo 2 sometimes the screen freezed suddenly, and after that sometimes the game continue ok, and sometimes I get the Blue Screen of Dead.

After reboot Vista it says the problem was the nvidia driver.

Of course, when I try to install the Nvidia driver 163.44 I get the message "can't find compatible harwdare, etc, etc".

The folks in Dell Support says Nvidia has problem with that video card and its driver for Vista 32 bits (really? :) )

They said me I need to install the Nvidia driver 163.44, but I read on this forum this driver doesn't support 8600M GT video card (the character M seems to be important here).

So, what should I do?

Yesterday I've installed the latest 4 or 5 patches from Microsoft, and after that I can't start Halo 2 anymore: I always get the BSOD :) .

Thank you for your help.

Edited by argie01

I had the same problem with my notebook.. I resolved it installing the 165.01 drivers..

For 163.44, you did replace the INF file, right? Read the FAQ.

For 163.44, you did replace the INF file, right? Read the FAQ.

You're right Max, I didn't :)

But after replace the INF file the drive got install OK, and now Halo 2 is working fine :)

Thank you!

Go to the 163.44 thread for your OS, read the FAQ. It's all available on this site.