LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce Go 7300 on Inspiron E1505

Apoc{}

Hi, I need help finding a driver that works properly with my laptop and will run Half-Life 2 without any problems. I have the driver update 101.38 on my computer right now. I am using it, I try to run HL2 and I get a windows error stating that the video card is in an infinite loop which maybe due to a driver problem. I have had this laptop about a year and I have previously tried to solve this problem before and didn't succeed. This video card to me is very finicky. Whatever I do, it won't run HL2. And I know it can. For the brief amount of time it runs, the graphics are wonderful! If it runs. It used to run before I updated my driver. The old one just caused it to make a Source engine error. I'll try to help if I can. Help is well appreciated.

Edit: I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with a nVidia 256mb GeForce Go 7300. Windows XP. Just tell me what else you need to know.

Edited by Apoc{}

I have that same computer and card and I'm currently running the 163.15 drivers successfully. I was able to run HL2 on my original 84.29 drivers as well. The 163.15's work pretty well on my machine so far, but keep in mind that the card we've got is pretty low-end and isn't going to do anything majorly awesome. It should run HL2 okay, though.

Hope that helps.

Well, I did install the new driver you told me and it seems to work fine. But Steam/HL2 disagrees. When I run the steam crash scanner, it says that my driver is from April 2006. It thinks that the original driver is still installed. Which causes me to get the Source game crash, 'Failed to lock index buffer in CMeshDX8::LockIndexBuffer'

I got this crash originally. I'm not sure if someone could help figure this problem out. It's like I need to convince Steam that I have the right driver ...

I personally haven't had any trouble with Steam, but I think it's a good sign that the driver is working for you. If it's a Steam error, and not a Windows one it should be troubleshoot-able using specifically that program. I know many people have had trouble in the past getting Steam to recognize and be kosher with their drivers. Do some searching on these forums and others and you should be able to find some help.

Cheers and good luck

Well, I did install the new driver you told me and it seems to work fine. But Steam/HL2 disagrees. When I run the steam crash scanner, it says that my driver is from April 2006. It thinks that the original driver is still installed. Which causes me to get the Source game crash, 'Failed to lock index buffer in CMeshDX8::LockIndexBuffer'

I got this crash originally. I'm not sure if someone could help figure this problem out. It's like I need to convince Steam that I have the right driver ...

You obviously haven't read the FAQ.

0. read the FAQ

1. pick your new driver version (I recommend 162.18 if using WinXP)

1.1 read the FAQ

2. uninstall driver

2.1 read the FAQ

3. reboot

3.1 read the FAQ re: modded inf

3. install new driver

cheers

envydyauser