LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Inspiron 8200 sxga+ screen the same as 5150's?

Guest mitch

Hi all,

I have posted this question in Larrys 5150 forum also.

I want to upgrade my 15 xga in my 5150, can I use one from an 8200??

Will I need to change the inverter as well?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

You probably can, but if your buying from ebay or some place that labels it as an 8200 screen, you might want to get them to give you a picture of the connections and see if they match.

If I had to guess I would say the connector on the LCDs is the same, but the one and the graphics cards isn't.

But if your 5150's cable is intact that shouldn't be an issue.

You could even call up Dell and ask around for part numbers for both laptops, even their low level techs could probably tell you if they are the same.

I know for 15.4 WUXGA screens the newer and older ones and even different brand ones all have the same connection on the lcd panel's board, and in most cases if you have say an I8600 you could swap a sharp for a samsung or an LG and your computer would almost not know the difference. (would still work, just slightly different picture quality)

Of course if the EDID is working correctly the laptop would know what brand you have, but they are all supposed to work the same. (could swap them out while the laptop is on, ect)

My bet is the 15 inch screens are probably the same way almost, why are you not buying a UXGA though?

Thanks for the fast reply Bill,

I hope you're right, I thought it would be OK but then couldn't find anything linking the 2part numbers. I was considering a uxga but was concerned about the flickering problem that 5150 owners sometimes have whilst running on batteries.

Plus it was a bit of a snap ebay decision only 2mins left and at £35 not a bad price I thought.... At least I'll be able to give a definitive answer middle of next week ...

What do you mean by EDID?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_disp...tification_data

Its used by the graphics cards to know what LCD is plugged up, and when it works its great.

A few older Dell (8200, ect) and some Toshiba laptops have EDID reading problems with certain lcd and graphics card combinations and overrides are needed for the card to output the correct display timings to certain panels.

We have these in enhancer. (the resolution fixes)

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer

While the wiki article describes the EDID issues, what we had on the laptops was a driver and/or BIOS problem and wasn't limited to just widescreen LCDS.

Nvidia eventually fixed some EDID isses on dells in their newer drivers.

If you want to know more you can use google to *gasp* magically search the forum for EDID issues and their fixes, I won't do the searching for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give an update! The screens used in the 5150 and 8200 are different connections entirely.

The 8200 screen wouldn't fit to my existing 5150 xga cable so I sourced an 8200 and a 5150 sxga cable and unfortunately neither fit both ends.

I suppose I could chop the graphics card end off the 5150 cable and bodge it to the other end of the 8200 but I think that could be a bit too much hassle.

So if anyone needs a 8200 sxga screen, or either of the cables, I'm willing to post to the UK??

O well I would never have known if I didnt try...

Hacking together the connections might work, but you would have to be knowledgeable of the pin out to do it.

Someone over at lumenlab might know some info, if you actually want to try hacking together a cable.

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?

"Extreme Mods" seems to be a good place to start posting.