LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HP DV9543CL w/ 8600M GS Almost tossed off a bridge ;)

lago_b

Just want to extend a thanks to the folks running and supporting this site. After downloading recent drivers from here and placing the right INF file in the install directory and installing them, I finally got some performance out of this new laptop. Before these drivers, every game stuttered horribly and I spent the last week trying everything possible, including many futile chat attempts with HP tech support trying to convince them to update their driver. Yeah, right.

So far so good with the driver provided from here. I still have some growing pains with the laptop in general, but at least I confirmed it's not a horrific performer by running the Lost Planet demo performance test with HP's drivers and the ones from here, confirming a HUGE improvement by the latter.

Thanks! Keep up the good work! Your efforts are appreciated!

Peace.

2nd post here. I'm deciding whether to keep the DV9543CL I just purchased. It has an impressive hardware list for the $1400.00 I paid for it from Costco, but I'm still concerned about its video driver support.

I successfully used drivers from here to fix the massive stuttering in games I was getting with the pre-installed/latest HP 8600M GS drivers, but am wondering what the future will bring in terms of keeping up to date on video driver. I'm not a nut about keeping every system driver current, EXCEPT video.

Do you folks completely rely on this site to keep your laptop's video up to day? How's that worked out for you so far???

Any feedback appreciated.

• 1 month later...
I successfully used drivers from here to fix the massive stuttering in games I was getting with the pre-installed/latest HP 8600M GS drivers...

I have the exact laptop from Costco. In order to play World In Conflict with decent video I have to set the game to 1440x900 on Low quality. Frankly, any screen res lower than 1440 makes for a blurry image so I stick with the native. Originally, I upgraded the video driver to the latest version available on HP.com. Then I changed the driver 163.69 for Vista-32. My video benchmark went down.

Anyways, what game did you see an increase performance in and which driver did you use, because I'm not seeing the perks that you speak of for this system.

Thanks.

Guest Jeproks

I downloaded the latest ForceWare Release 163 from Nvidia. If you do an auto install, you will get an error that your card is not found. That's fine, close the Nvidia installer. I manually installed it instead of letting Vista do an Auto install and chose the 8600 GS driver by pointing the folder where the files were uncompressed. You'll get an error that it might not work and continue. Works great with games, movies, etc. My Vista Experience Index for graphics is now 5.2. It both works with Vista Home Premium 32 bit and 64 bit OS. Did it with the original OS that came with the DV9543CL and ordered the $5.00 64bit Vista anytime upgrade from Compusa, downloaded the 64bit ForceWare and did the same procedure and now my laptop is on Home Premium 64 bit and VEI is still 5.2.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you manually install the drivers? I tried to click the setup.exe in the uncompressed folders, but got the same "hardware not found" error.

I also tried to update the drivers via Device Manager, but vista just informs me that my drivers are already up to date.

He weaved magic... or he used a modified INF (ours?).

Hmmmm.... Which INF then, as there are many versions? My guess is he did something else to get the driver to install, other than use a modded INF from here.

Talk to us great Jeproks!

I've reread the post and it seems he did the "Update Driver" way in the Device Manager. So no magic involved here :)

Here's another suggestion:

You can try the 156.xx series, if you don't trust the modded INF or are dependant to WHQL. They all come with native

support to most of the recent Go cards and they are all WHQL.

Nope. When I try that method I get this screen:

-----------------

The best driver software for your device is already installed.

Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.

<Close Button>

------------------

After reading the forums it seems the 163 Forceware drivers are the best. I'd really like to use those.

Other thoughts?

What driver is currently installed? What OS? What is DEV_ID / SUBSYS_ID? Did you extract all the original INFs from the original_INF(s).zip archive that comes with the 156.xx drivers (at least one of them should support your GPU).

Current Driver = HP's nVidia Driver

OS = Vista Home 32-bit

Dev_id / Subsys_id = ? What is this?

I'm using the INF from the latest vista drivers available on this site. Not the ones from 156.xx

Guest Jeproks

Device Manager > Display Adapters > GeForce 8600M GS. Left click 8600M GS and choose update driver software and pick Browse my computer for driver software. Choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer and click Have disk. Specify the folder where you uncompressed the Nvidia drivers and click OK. It will now show you all the available drivers on that folder. Choose the Nvidia GeForce 8600 GS driver and click Next. You will get an Update Driver Warning, click Yes and it will now proceed with the driver installation.

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GS

Driver Provider: NVIDIA

Driver Date: 9/11/2007

Driver Version: 7.15.11.6369

OS Version: Vista Home Premium 64bit Edition

Device ID: 0425

Righto. That worked a treat. Thanks for the instructions jeproks. :)

A few things I've noticed:

1) The new driver seems to make the game Company of Heroes run a little bit better. FRAPS is reporting better frame rates with the graphics settings set to Medium. Has anyone found the perfect combination of settings for this game to allow for good (30+) FPS? If so, I'd love to know. I find that I can't use the DirectX 10 Shader setting, as the FPS goes way down.

2) I notice my screen every great while will kinda of flicker for a quick second. Not a big deal though. Also, after upgrading to these drivers and updating my system's vista performance index the score did not change. I expected to see it jump, but the graphics score stayed at 4.7.

3) Within the Nvidia Control Panel, you can override the 3D settings for particular games and programs. Company of Heroes is listed, but does anyone know what settings would help the game? Settings like Anisotropic Filtering, Antialiasing - Mode, etc are the options available for altering.

Thanks again for your help.

- Seppo