LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce Go 7950 GTX + Vista

Kbih

After reading many posts and documentations on the forum, I have found myself completely confused.

Basically, I have a Dell XPS M1710. It came with GeForce Go 7950 GTX, 512MB.

I am using Vista (32 bit). The oem driver is quite old, and is causing many problems. Neither Nvidia nor Dell have the latest Vista drivers for my video card.

I have uploaded my Dxdiag section of the "Display" tab as an attachment to this post.

I have talked to Nvidia support about this, and this is what they had to say.

"In the laptopvideo2go.com web site there is a forum, where you can post your query. Please post you query for the drivers for the GeForce Go 7950 GTX graphics card. They would reply with the correct driver version."

The driver I have right now is from Dell; I entered my laptop's service tag and there was an option for a "Performance Driver", I have downloaded that one.

untitledjb9.th.png

Could someone please simply state which most recent driver would match my video card and OS configuration. I have tried too many drivers now and I am far too confused.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: I am not asking for the BEST driver. I am asking for the most up-to-date driver for my video card that would work with my OS.

Dxdiag.txt

Edited by Kbih

Try 163.44. There's a chance your computer won't like it... If that's the case, go for 163.16.

Instructions to install the drivers are in the FAQ.

just download the latest beta driver from these forums v163.44 (the 'Bioshock' drivers)

make sure you remove your old drivers in safe mode before installing the new ones

163.44 is arguably better, but we've heard some people say that they didn't work on their computer. I just like 163.16... it's pretty stable.

Be sure to get the latest Vista updates too... they addressed a bunch of issues with video acceleration.

Well is my current driver any good? I put the info in the attachment, should I just keep that? What's the difference between that one, and mine?

Your driver is fine, but if you do want to update it or if you run into problems, 163.44 or 163.16 are good.

I'm just not sure about them. Usually the newest drivers aren't the best.

I've heard good things about 163.44 if it works and I have had good experience with 163.16.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there... New guy. I checked my system settings (XPS M1710 w/ Vista 32bit), and I cam out with: Adapter type GeForce Go 7950, Driver Version 7.15.10.9809. Which looks nothing like the driver versions being mentioned here.

Am I looking inthe wrong place? Dell (website) says my drivers are up to date, though who knows...

Take the last five digits of that number and you'll get the driver version mentioned here.

For example: 7.15.10.9809 --> 09809 --> 98.09