LaptopVideo2Go Forums

need help with my area 51m 7700...

shinobirecca

I ordered my Alienware Area 51m 7700 not too long ago off of ebay for cheap and its a great computer. It's also great that it has a 7800gtx in it instead of the usual 6800 that I believe is what its originally shipped with. My only problem with this computer though is with the 7800gtx, strangely enough. I decided to upgrade to Vista Ultimate since it shipped with Vista Basic and I figured if I was going to be stuck with Vista it had better be Vista Ultimate. Well Everythings great except for the fact that i cant find updated drivers for my video card anywhere. New games like Halo 2 and Bioshock keep telling me that I need to get updates, yet I have no clue where to look to find them. Bioshock and a few other select games run horrible even at some of the lowest graphical settings and I know the 7800gtx should be able to handle it well. Please I'm new to this site so if someone could link me to where i can get an update for this card that will work with my computer, or perhaps tell me whats going on here with the comp, I would really appreciate it. Thank you, please respond as soon as possible; Im dying to play Bioshock lol. :)

*Bump* Please someone help me out. I'm at wits end here; I've tried everything. Please someone help me. At least tell me what driver off of this site to download or something.

Tell us what drivers you have used so far and it would be easier to answer.

163.44 has BiOSHOCK enhancements, all later 163.xx driver also include them, so as 163.69 is the latest release, that's your recommendation.

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to reply. I'm that knowledgeable when it comes to drivers, but I can attempt to give you any information I can. When I first got the computer I used the "Search automatically for updated driver software" option to get whatever driver Vista could find for me. Since the disc that came with the computer was 1. for XP and 2.for the 6800 ultra thats supposed to come with the model, I was screwed both ways. The driver is dated 8/22/2006 and its version is 7.15.10.9746. Thank you guys for the help so far, I really appreciate it.

Grab 163.69 and follow the instructions in the FAQ to install it. You shouldn't use te automatically search for drivers function.

A quick update: after installing driver i tried running the game again. Its barely playable with the resolution set at 1024x768 and with a lot of the graphical effects toned down. Do you guys have any other advice? I know the 7800gtx isnt exactly top of the line but it should be performing better than this shouldnt it?

• 2 weeks later...

It took me more than a year of checking this site out to finally give their drivers a go. Once I read the FAQ (carefully and slowly :) ) and tried it I felt a bit of an idiot for not doing it earlier. It really is very easy and quick. Certainly it's possible to try out lots of drivers to find which one works best for you.

There are lots of suggestions from others but unless they have exactly the same setup as you it's hard to know whether their suggestions have any relevancy. I ended up trying about 10 of the newer drivers till I found one which works well for me.

It's the 156.65 version

The Vista version is here:

Good luck!