LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8700mGT Poor Performance..

nintenjo

I just got myself a new Laptop, but i seem to be getting quite poor performance in 3Dmark06 and most games..

Its a Rock, T7300 2.0ghz, 2Gig RAM (667mhz), 8700mGT 512mb, 160Gb HDD and Windows Vista Prem.

I have cleaned up vista the best i can without digging dep into the registry etc, so there are only about 40-45 processing running most of those are standard windows ones. I have got the latest 163.69 WHQL installed.

But im only getting 9364 in 3D Mark 05... i have seen some 8600 GT 256mb getting over the 11k mark

And im also getting about 4664 in 3D Mark 06 when this PC should really be getting over 5k mark.. Im not quite sure what could be causing it to perform like this as its pretty much a fresh install etc..

Only thing i have noticed is the 8700M GT dosnt seem to appear in "any" of the standad nvidia INF's i always have to sue a custom INF from laptopvideo2go. Could this be an issue?

I think thats the right score, I only get about 3,200 in 3DMark06, and not even 6,000 in 05. Your PC isn't as good as you think it is and is not comparable to any desktop video card if thats where you were basing your scores on. The desktop version of my laptop card can almost hit 7,000 in 06, mine doesn't get half that.

Also nVidia leaves mobile drivers up to the manufacturers, so in most cases you will need the modded INF, they preform better than the drivers actually meant for the 8400, 8600, and 8700's.

Edited by Jacko87

Guest Nintenjo

Well i guess that some consilation.

I did assume that the 8600 GT mobile would perform pretty close to the desktop counterpat i just assume they had a lower power consumption and size on the PCB, which is what cause the delay in development and high cost..

What have been the best drivers for you so far in 3dmark / Games?

The best drivers I've found so far are the 163.69's, the .71's have some confusion surrounding them on this site and plus they lowered my 3DMarks scores a little, so I went back to the .69's. And laptop video cards are severely underclocked to keep temps low and to save power, which sucks. I wish I could've gotten an 8700M, but Dell didn't have any and Toshiba is too expensive. Anyway, you should be getting decent performance in-game. I played Bioshock in DX10 and got acceptable frame rates (1280x800) other settings on high except for global lighting and HDRL.

Edited by Jacko87

• 2 weeks later...

The 163.74 with modded inf let me get over 4822 points in 3DM06 and i could play Bioshock in 1440x900 with all feat. on with good performance.

With the original driver from Toshiba for 8700m GT 101.38 i had 4812 points and with nVidias 163.69 my score went down to 45**. So i´m very satisfied with thees!

Toshiba Satego X200, Intel 7300, 2GB RAM 667, 8700m GT

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i just got 5200 at 3dmark 2006 using the 169.01 beta drivers and the modded inf from the site.

Hope you'll get to have better mark by using these drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest olivehehe_03

I just got 3DMark06 and I've been running benchmarks all morning, I got a dell XPS M1730 laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 @ 2.40Ghz, 2Gb RAM and dual Geforce 8700M GT in SLI with 169.09 drivers, running the 6 main tests at 1280x1024 with no AA gave me about 8300 3d marks, around 4900 with SLI disabled, source games (HL2, Gmod, HL:Ep2) run at 1680x1050 with 2xAA 8xAF, all other settings maxed at anywhere between 30 and 100fps, Crysis runs at about 25 - 35 with texture, objects, shadows, shaders and physics on medium, everything else on high at 1440x900 no AA, runs the GPU benchmark at those settings with 32 - 38fps.

So it may just be because I have 2 of them, but I reckon the performance of the 8700M GT is pretty damn good :)

• 3 months later...

Hello guys

i'm new here .

Some days ago i bought a Toshiba Satellite x200-208 : 2GB RAM (667mhz), 8700mGT 512mb, 160Gb HDD and Windows Vista Prem.

I downgraded to Windows Xp mediacenter .I' would like to know which is the best driver release for the 8700Gt (with highest performance) .

Many thanks i'll wait you answers ...

Hello guys

i'm new here .

Some days ago i bought a Toshiba Satellite x200-208 : 2GB RAM (667mhz), 8700mGT 512mb, 160Gb HDD and Windows Vista Prem.

I downgraded to Windows Xp mediacenter .I' would like to know which is the best driver release for the 8700Gt (with highest performance) .

Many thanks i'll wait you answers ...

just go to the nvidia website and download there ones, they will work good

Guest newbie
just go to the nvidia website and download there ones, they will work good

www.nvidia.com -> Download Drivers -> GeForce 8M Series , 8700GT, Language : English then search;

No downloads were found for your configuration.

I was going to buy Toshiba X200-22U with 8700GT but I want to use XP, however I cannot find the Xp driver even at toshiba's web site. When I searched in google I saw that people have problems with 8700GT in Xp. Will Dell or Lenova release XP version of 8700GT ever?

P.S. I read that 8700M GT doesn't have GDDR2 or GDDR3 it has regular DDR? May this be a reason for poor performance?

im preety sure that all 8700MGT are GDDR3.

you wont find 8700MGT drivers on nvidia website, thats why we all come here :)

so try the lates drivers from here, and use the modded inf to get it to install with your card.