LaptopVideo2Go Forums

m9750 and the Almighty 7950 GTX

Guest Silent_Sc(+)pe

Guest Silent_Sc(+)pe

I guys, I love this community so I am asking you gentlemen for advice...

I have an Alienware (don't give me crap for it) m9750 with Dual 7950 GTX's (512 each) running on Windows Media Center (XP 32bit) and currently have the base 94.23 drivers from March. These drivers don't have support for Bioshock, Crysis Beta and many other new games. I was wondering if there are any newer drivers for these cards and that support SLI also. Could you also include how to install them too - I've heard way to many ways people do it. Thanks alot guys! Long live the laptop!

Though I'm only using an old m7700 with just a single 7950GTX :P I've just managed to get Bioshock working awesomely with everything on at 1680 x 1050! I'm using the very new 156.65 driver after trying 4 other recent ones with no luck. The change is amazing. No more juddering, halting, etc. Whether it'll work the same for you is anybody's guess.

As to installing the new drivers...I got myself totally confused for ages reading around the forum and being too scared (moronic? :) ) to try. Then I sat down and actually read the FAQ here and it's so simple I feel a bit of an idiot now. Basically you go to the download drivers area, pick a driver version, Download their driver file, double click it to unzip, download their INF file (both files are listed beside each other), move INF file to the new driver folder (click yes to overwrite), used add/remove porgrams to remove installed nvidia drivers, restart pc, cancel the found new hardware dialogue, click setup file in your driver folder...et voila! I can do it quicker now than I can write this reply! :) Honestly it's so easy to try lots till you find the right one. Oh and you can always use search to see if anyone has a similar setup to yours and what they recommend.

Cheers

read my stickied thread at the top of this support forum to see all you need to know about the m9750 (i own one with SLI)

your stuck with the 94.23 drivers, they do actually support bioshock etc (i run bioshock in 1920x1200 no problems), you can copy over the profile file from newer drivers to get game profiles not included in the 94.23's.