LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problems installing latest drivers (outdated hardware?)

Guest Targ Collective

Guest Targ Collective

Hi, I'm having problems getting the latest drivers to work on my pretty archaic GeForce 420 go. The reason I've looked into upgrading my drivers in the first place is because I've been suffering a lot of crashes recently, and the manufacturers of the software concerned recommend that the drivers are up to date before you ask for support with these issues. So that is what I set out to do.

After reading through this site I came to realise there's a lot more to choosing the right driver than grabbing the one at the top of the list - that just gave me a BSOD, which I think is not supposed to happen - so that's how I came to be asking for help here.

I'm running a GeForce 420 go, as I said, on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 1600 (old enough that Toshiba have dropped support for it). I have the screen resolution issue, and I understand that the standby value must be set to 3 for things to work, but my knowledge in these matters really ends here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What's your current driver? What is the lowest version of NVIDIA driver the manufacturer of your software needs to have installed to run properly?

Guest Targ Collective

My latest driver is a third-party one, an Omega set, using your modified INF for the screen issue. The lowest possible driver would be way back, in the archived versions, around revision 60-70 - I don't have much time right now but I'll check the specifics as soon as I can.

67.66, 72.14, 77.77, 77.79, 84.25, 84.98

Guest Targ Collective

Thanks! I know you must get a lot of queries like these, but why those drivers? I'd love to know what's causing the BSOD, so I can learn something from this problem, if you have time for a more detailed response...

We found that these work pretty well with laptops and old GPUs. The lower the faster. The higher more bugfixes for applications/games. Don't forget to use Pieter's INF to enable PowerMizer and all available ControlPanel settings.