LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem with my driver!

Guest JumpDeluxe

Guest JumpDeluxe

Hey people from nVision,

I have a problem and I don´t know too much about computers (tried reading all the stuff on this site, but I don't know what to do at all), so the last thing I want to do installing something of which I'm not sure is good for my system.

Here's my problem: I just bought a new laptop (a MSI GX70-001NL) with Vista Premium and I installed a few games to play, and each time I'm playing for 5-20 minutes my screen goes black and I get some driver error that goes like this: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

It is very annoying this happens all the time, and now I'm a bit frustrated.. I googled the error and found out I was not the only one having the issue, but I didn't find an easy approach to fix it. I think it is my driver installed, but I'm not sure.

Could you guys please help me out?

Thanks in advance!!

Ps. tried looking for the driver I'm using now, but I can't seem to find any info on my videocard with Vista.. :)

Guest JumpDeluxe
There is a hotfix for this, download them here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

Hey Guest, thanks for your reply.

I tried installing this hotfix -although they remarked that the install didn't apply to my system-, but I´m still getting the same error as above (it has not changed very much) after 5 minutes of playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :)

Guest JumpDeluxe
Hey Guest, thanks for your reply.

I tried installing this hotfix -although they remarked that the install didn't apply to my system-, but I´m still getting the same error as above (it has not changed very much) after 5 minutes of playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :)

Hey!

This afternoon I found this about my videocard:

Chip Type: GeForce 8600M GT

DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

Adapter String: GeForce 8600M GT

Bios Information: Version 60.84.41.0.9

Total Available Graphics Memory: 1279 MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 512 MB

System Video Memory: 0 MB

Shared System Memory: 767 MB

Hey!

This afternoon I found this about my videocard:

Chip Type: GeForce 8600M GT

DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

Adapter String: GeForce 8600M GT

Bios Information: Version 60.84.41.0.9

Total Available Graphics Memory: 1279 MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 512 MB

System Video Memory: 0 MB

Shared System Memory: 767 MB

How much RAM do you have? STALKER is a resource hog on vista. I know a great fix, but you need atleast 3gb of ram

Actually, have you updated to the most recent drivers and patched stalker?

Is your laptop getting very hot?

Guest JumpDeluxe
How much RAM do you have? STALKER is a resource hog on vista. I know a great fix, but you need atleast 3gb of ram

Actually, have you updated to the most recent drivers and patched stalker?

Is your laptop getting very hot?

Hey Bennisboy!

I´ve got 2048 MB RAM.

With the drivers.. I don´t really know which drivers I should install and which version I have now (maybe the BIOS Information?).

My laptop is getting hot, but not véry hot.. It's just that I get this error everytime I play a game for several minutes:(

Thanks for replying btw!!

Greetings,

JumpDeluxe

Hey Bennisboy!

I´ve got 2048 MB RAM.

With the drivers.. I don´t really know which drivers I should install and which version I have now (maybe the BIOS Information?).

My laptop is getting hot, but not véry hot.. It's just that I get this error everytime I play a game for several minutes:(

Thanks for replying btw!!

Greetings,

JumpDeluxe

You know I just re-read your post. I got this error everytime I played COH, I'm just thinking what I did to solve it. I'll let you know as soon as i remember.

So have you patched stalker, as its only really been optimized for vista better in the latest patch. Which other games does it occur in?

Guest JumpDeluxe
You know I just re-read your post. I got this error everytime I played COH, I'm just thinking what I did to solve it. I'll let you know as soon as i remember.

So have you patched stalker, as its only really been optimized for vista better in the latest patch. Which other games does it occur in?

Hey Bennisboy, thanks for trying to help me out in here :)

I hadn't installed the patch yet, so I think it will be a lot better now.. but I think the driver-error will still be an issue.

It happens with all my games I play, which are until now:

Call of Duty 2, STALKER, Overlord, America's Army, Bioshock, Halflife 2 and Unreal Tournament 3 demo.

Quite a few are very recent games, but I did set the graphics as low as possible to see what happens.. and the error is still the response.

Greetings,

JumpDeluxe

no problem mate. Bare in mind saved games from stalker v1.0 aren't compatible with any other patches.

What video drivers are you currently running? I'm on 167.26 and not experiencing the errors anymore, in fact you can download it here

make sure you uninstall the old drivers, restart, install new ones, restart, then play.

Guest JumpDeluxe
no problem mate. Bare in mind saved games from stalker v1.0 aren't compatible with any other patches.

What video drivers are you currently running? I'm on 167.26 and not experiencing the errors anymore, in fact you can download it here

make sure you uninstall the old drivers, restart, install new ones, restart, then play.

Hey:) I finally found my videodriver information (I searched it up by using Device Manager; Display adapters; NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT; Properties) :

Driver Provider: NVIDIA

Driver Date: 28-04-2007

Driver Version: 7.15.11.119

Digital Signer: microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher

I don't what driver this is.. and if it is the best I can have at the moment, or how to fix this nvlddmkm error. Maybe you dó know or someone else on this forum:)

JumpDeluxe

okay, basically follow the link I gave in my last post. Follow the instructions for downloading and installing the drivers.

Then see how it goes. Let me know

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JumpDeluxe

Hey Bennisboy! :)

Sorry for my late reply.. but I´ve been very busy with my study this weeks.

I installled the drivers and at first hand, they seemed to be working far better:). But the day after I tried playing some games for a longer period and then the error started again.. :)

Jumpdeluxe