LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce 420 GO Toshiba Satellite 2430 tried 53.03 INF

Guest Sky

Toshiba's last update for this machine's video card is 32.30. Everyone knows that this isn't sufficient for most new programs. Toshiba won't budge.

I found the MadToast site and downloaded the 17.11.03 53.03 Driver and INF. I installed them as per the instructions. After restarting the laptop, I ran DxDiag. When I clicked on Test Direct3D, the screen went black for half a second, then I saw a windows xp explorer border on the top edge of the screen for half a second, then I was brought back to DxDiag that said "The test has been cancelled because you pressed a key" (Not Verbatim). Of course you know I'm going to say "I swear I didn't touch anything". And I'm not lying or mistaken :)

I need help...I really do...and you guys are probably the only ones out there who can help me.

I'm attaching excerpts from my DxDiag from 53.03. If you need any more information, just post, and I'll give it. I'm back on the original driver, the 32.30, and I have the Diagnostic files for both drivers if you need them.

-----------------------

System Information

-----------------------

Time of this report: 12/15/2003, 11:47:28

Machine name: censored

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

System Model: Satellite 2430

BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz

Memory: 510MB RAM

Page File: 177MB used, 1072MB available

Windows Dir: C:WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

----------------

DxDiag Notes

----------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: The tests were cancelled before completing. Direct3D 8 test results: The tests were cancelled before completing. Direct3D 9 test results: The tests were cancelled before completing.Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: All tests were successful.

Music Tab: DirectMusic test results: All tests were successful.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found. DirectPlay test results: All tests were successful.

-------------------

Display Devices

-------------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba Mobile)

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce4 420 Go

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_10DE&DEV_0175&SUBSYS_FF001179&REV_A3

Display Memory: 32.0 MB

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Default Monitor

Monitor Max Res:

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.5303 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 11/17/2003 10:33:00, 4323968 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: NoWHQL Date Stamp: None

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys

Mini VDD Date: 11/17/2003 10:33:00, 1618939 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4235-11CF-7E66-0ADF02C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x0175

SubSys ID: 0xFF001179

Revision ID: 0x00A3

Revision ID: 0x00A3

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D

Deinterlace Caps: {212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

Registry: OK

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D7 Test Result: The tests were cancelled before completing.

D3D8 Test Result: The tests were cancelled before completing.

D3D9 Test Result: The tests were cancelled before completing.

PS: I appologise if I have put too much information in this post and made it unnecessarily long, but I've never done this and have no clue what information you may need.

hi,

try using the 44.68 (fast), 45.91 (latest from the 40s series) or 52.16 and have a try with Pieters inf.

Try my 45.91, it's the latest Toshiba driver.

Links are on my web-site see below.

Pieter

Hi Pieter :) I know your website...I got here FROM your website :) And I got to your website from http://forums.compuserve.com/vlforums/defa...=Toshiba&loc=us which is the unofficial Toshiba tech support forum

So...I went to you page and downloaded 45.91 and the 11.65 INF. I unpacked the 45.91 to a temp folder, then threw the inf in that folder. I went into the Device manager, and clicked update driver, and selected manually the inf file in the folder. The install went smoothly. I rebooted, and it asked all these setup questions. I didn't even activate most of the features the setup offered.

THEN I went to DxDiag and did a Direct3D test, and once again, I got "The test has been cacelled because you pressed a key". With the driver that I got off the Toshiba website, this doesn't happen.

I hope I'm expressing myself clearly enough and you can see exactly where my problem lies.

Thanks for any forthcoming help :P

Sky

Ok...I got some advice from somebody on the Laptop Computing Forum, who told me to stop the nvidia help services and to disable write combining. After doing this (and restarting) my Direct3D test passed.

I do still have one question though...why was it necessary to disable Write Combining? Is write combining supposed to be a beneficial feature?

Thanks for the help guys.

Sky

Ok...you guys are not going to believe this. I made the last post (12:32pm) and tried to play a game for a few minutes. Then I restarted my computer...and that's it. SME problem again. Write combining is STILL off and so is the Nvidia Helper in Services. I can't believe this...am I just cursed or something?

Is there anyway, you think, that a whole lot of poeple could just start demanding to Toshiba that either they start making new drivers, or they contract Nvidia or some other company to do it for them. I mean, my laptop is still under warranty for crying out loud. It's barely 8 months old!!!

Depressing.....

Sky

I unpacked the 45.91 to a temp folder, then threw the inf in that folder. I went into the Device manager, and clicked update driver, and selected manually the inf file in the folder. The install went smoothly. I rebooted,
YOU HAVE TO UNINSTALL THE OLD DRIVER FIRST THROUGH THE ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS ControlPanel.

The NV display Driver Service has NOT to be turned off, cuz it is responsible for remembering" certain options/values you made in the CPL.

Write combining is by default ENABLED on 99% of all GPUs (desktop/laptops). It is an option which allows write transfers to be combined into bigger chunks before they go to the AGP bus. Dont change it!

Your problems is sth. else.

and it asked all these setup questions. I didn't even activate most of the features the setup offered.

what do you mean? what happened there?

Setup questions?

what do you mean? what happened there?  

Setup questions?

You know where it asks if you want to setup the multiple monitors thing and if you want the transparency option enabled and all that.
YOU HAVE TO UNINSTALL THE OLD DRIVER FIRST THROUGH THE ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS ControlPanel

Been there, done that...no luck.

The NV display Driver Service has NOT.....

Write combining is by default.....

When you're desperate, you'll try the craziest things dontknow.

Sky

PS: I found this handy util that removes all trace of any previous ATI or NVidia drivers so you don't have to worry about bad files or installs. That's one of the ways I went.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

multiple monitors thing and if you want the transparency option enabled  

thats the nView Desktop Manager Wizard (nvwiz.exe). Try first to let that alone (disable), set the nview Display mode to Single Display and make all other settings in the CPL to default. Then start DXDIAG and see what happens.

thats the nView Desktop Manager Wizard (nvwiz.exe). Try first to let that alone (disable), set the nview Display mode to Single Display and make all other settings in the CPL to default. Then start DXDIAG and see what happens.

That was the first thing I tried...disable NVWIZ and stop it from loading via msconfig. Didn't help.

ok, i have no more ideas.

EXCEPT ONE:

do you have the Toshiba sticky key or FN application installed and activated, then uninstall it. Or do you a similar application or something like an extra driver for all the extra buttons and features installed? Get into the taskmanger and end the process of it. Or get into the program and deactivate it (like in Toshiba Accessibility).

I have to say that i have all 3 apllications installed (FN-ESSE, Hotkey Utility and Toshiba Accessibility), because they come with Toshiba Controls and Toshiba Utilies and there are other apps in those packages which the User needs for configuring to his needs. But i dont have any problems running dxdiag.

I have Toshiba EZButton, Toshiba Media Keys (For stop/play buttons) and the Tosh Console. EZ Button is for the three keys near the power button which call up the Console, IE, and Toggle between LCD and Projector.

I don't know of any other accessibility features from TOSHIBA, but my MS accessibility features (Toggle Keys, Sticky Keys, etc) are all off :S

I guess we're ready to give up. I guess I'll just have to wait for the next driver and try my luck then.

I dont have EZButton and Media Keys installed, but still all buttons work correct and can be configured through Toshiba COnsole and then Toshiba Button. What is EZButton doing?

Listen...I think the solution to my problem is just a few steps (keystrokes) away.

I used a utility called 'Driver Cleaner' ( http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ ) to remove all traces of all previous files of Nvidia. I then used Cab cleaner which a part of the Driver cleaner, because even after using DC, windows was still recognizing my card as a 420 Go automatically. After CC, all was perfect. No traces left. Even windows couldn't find a driver. All this I did in Safe mode, as per the programs instructions.

THEN, I got the 44.68 driver (the fast one) from Pieter's page, along with the INF. I installed these (No longer in safe mode) and when the installation completed, it didn't ask me to restart my computer. I went into display settings and checked to see if it was functional, and it was. I even set resolution and color depth.

I ran DxDiag (Still haven't restarted computer) and did all the tests...all passed. then I said the ultimate test is to restart.

Sure enough, when I restarted the computer, the same problem as before started happening - "the test was cancelled because you pressed a key".

Now I KNOW that something started up when the system started up, and that something is interfereing with the Direct3D tests, but what could it be? I come to you for help

Sky,

Do you have the Restore CD version of XP ?

This does cause problems with trying to upgrade drivers etc.

Always uninstall driver first then reboot, when the desktop comes back after reboot it should ask for the disk for the graphics card.

This is when you install the new driver.

With restore CD's the above gets all mixed up and sometimes the old drivers just gets reinstalled.

I don't know how to undo all the above as I don't have a restore CD of XP.

Also other programs can affect the video driver, as my INFs also have hot keys for TV-out functions.

Try disbleing any Toshiba software till after the dirver update.

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

because even after using DC, windows was still recognizing my card as a 420 Go automatically.

delete all subfolders in system32reinstallbackups and try again :)

Do you have the Restore CD version of XP ?  

This does cause problems with trying to upgrade drivers etc.

Yes I am on restore cd...I once tried installing a fresh version from an XP cd, but the laptop wouldn't accept it (I used the laptop's own key that is on the sticker under the laptop)

However, I got past the problem of it reinstalling the old driver by completely removing all traces of all nvidia drivers from the computer. When I rebooted, it just said VGA controller or something like that. That's when I tried installing the driver I got from you site. I made sure there was no other driver on the machine.

delete all subfolders in system32reinstallbackups and try again  

I already solved this problem...I said so in my last post. I removed all traces of the last nvidia drivers and all predecessors. No nvidia drivers remain on my system except the one's I installed last, ie this one I'm running on.

I'm quite sure that some function or feature of the nvidia file has started with windows, and that's what's causing the problem. Pieter...do you know what files/processes are loaded by the driver package that I downloaded? I'm sure one of them is the culprit.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time for this.

Gentlemen...I HAVE solved the problem...with loads of help from you of course :) The problem is EZButton. The toshiba utility that handles the three quick buttons next to the power button

Thanks for the tip dontknow.

I was browsing through Guru3d when I bumped into this one...tried it oout and VOILA.

I'm posting this so if you ever come across this problem, you'll know :P

Thanks again fellas dontknow and Pieter :)

I know that some good came out of this whole two week ordeal of trying to get new drivers working. I found a lot of very very useful video hardware and driver related. I thought share my finding here for people who have yet to come across them, who may fix their own and others' problems.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ Driver Cleaner will remove all trace of almost all Nvidia and ATI drivers installed on a system, and its frequentlly updated too.

http://www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?http:...s/3da/3da1.html 3d Analyze is a video hardware emulation tool. Does the job if you know how to use it. The site is in german, but there are instructions in English, and the software is in English. Don't use it if you don't get it.

http://www.roce.org/articles/hwacceleration.html DirectX Caps Viewer will give you alot of very useful information about your hardware and software. The download link is in the text somewhere just bust the screenshot.

I guess these are the only tools so far directly related to video and hardware. Hope these help someone as they did me.

Thanks again guys for all your help. :)

Sky

The problem is EZButton. The toshiba utility that handles the three quick buttons next to the power button
:!:
I dont have EZButton and Media Keys installed, but still all buttons work correct and can be configured through Toshiba COnsole and then Toshiba Button. What is EZButton doing?
:wink:

I'm happy now that your problem is gone. Happy gaming or whatever you're doing.

rrr

Sky, if you have 3DMark 03, you can click on SystemDetailsExpand All to see exactly what features your video card supports.

As far as I know the 420 Go has no pixel and minimal vertex shading.

3d analyze is the only one I'm aware of that has attempted this. Pixel shading will be very slow on older cards.