LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell 1720

Garandhero

Can the card in this be upgraded? i have a 8600MGT ,was wondering if I can upgrade to better?

Can the card in this be upgraded? i have a 8600MGT ,was wondering if I can upgrade to better?

1. Isnt mxm. Dell doesn't use mxm at the moment through the dell name(Alienware... sometimes... does... Whom dell owns). They use their own crazy little deisgn thats semi-replacible-ish, depending on if theres something the build to use on the same motherboard. Until the 9600 gf comes, theres basicaly no chance of this happening for yours... And even then incompatibility is likely due to the mirdrad of new cpus... geeeeh....

2. Even if it was, 99% says it would have been MXM II, and hence, there would be nothing to upgrade to... the 8600m GT is as good as it gets for that form factor. Not to say a 15in laptop couldnt be designed to accept a MXM III, infact-theres a chance the upcoming 15in from alienware is just that. Just nothing so far in the MXM rev2.X gen has... as far as i know.

Thats about it. Whatd you expect for one of the chepest 8600gt holding laptops in existance? High end user upgradibility? ^.^' Keep dreaming. Its a nice dream. It'll happen right around the time I take over the world and convert dell into a sanitation company... Ah-er :3

• 1 month later...
Guest Insurgence
2. Even if it was, 99% says it would have been MXM II, and hence, there would be nothing to upgrade to... the 8600m GT is as good as it gets for that form factor. Not to say a 15in laptop couldnt be designed to accept a MXM III, infact-theres a chance the upcoming 15in from alienware is just that. Just nothing so far in the MXM rev2.X gen has... as far as i know.

Actually, unless he's talking about something other than Dell Inspiron 1720, then he's also talking about a 17" widescreen LCD, not a 15". But otherwise everything I have seen says that it is a proprietary connector and Dell is also tend to be jerks about it and require support for any upgrades that I have seen.