LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GF 7900GS and GF 7900GTX compatible with Alienware Area-51 m5550?

Kyawmm01

I know someone selling a Geforce go 7900 GS and a Geforce go 7900 GTX and I was wondering if they would be compatible with my Alienware Area-51 m5550 laptop. Does anyone know if they would have module compatibility or thermal compatibility in my alienware area-51 m5550 laptop? I know that the radeon x1900 is compatible with my laptop though.

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kyawmm01

I know someone selling a Geforce go 7900 GS and a Geforce go 7900 GTX and I was wondering if they would be compatible with my Alienware Area-51 m5550 laptop. Does anyone know if they would have module compatibility or thermal compatibility in my alienware area-51 m5550 laptop?

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Well, according to the list the M5500 is MXM-II, which i assume the M5550 is a sub model of... Which means it would be a very tight fit with a 7900GS at best... and not the greatest of thermal compatibility. Best to see what ice-tea has to say on this one, but considering the list has it as having been sucsesfully upgraded to the 7600, it probobly simply lacks room and-well, being built for it.

Well, according to the list the M5500 is MXM-II, which i assume the M5550 is a sub model of... Which means it would be a very tight fit with a 7900GS at best... and not the greatest of thermal compatibility. Best to see what ice-tea has to say on this one, but considering the list has it as having been sucsesfully upgraded to the 7600, it probobly simply lacks room and-well, being built for it.

[/quote

I checked the list and this is what is said on the list

Area-51 m5550 III Yes

You must not have seen it but it IS on the list.

the m5550 is a MXM III and it said so on the list

I checked the list and this is what is said on the list

Area-51 m5550 III Yes

You must not have seen it but it IS on the list.

the m5550 is a MXM III and it said so on the list

######, sorry, missed it there. Been having to use a bit of a quirky backup system... and geh its got me a bit off, and really, who makes a huge spec difference between the last 2 digits in a 4 number name anyway XD???-well anyway...

In theory there shouldnt be any problem witha 7900GS or 7900GTX. The thermal window should be covered well, and the mechanical absolutely SHOULD be right. Worst usualy is a little dremmling of the heatsink from what Ive read.

However compatibility with fan-control and/or tempature sensors can sometimes be an issue. I would hope it wouldnt be in this one-being, well. Its an A-51. XD... At worst this requires forcing your cooling fan for that seciton to run... Hopefully by software, but possibly by a little... modding. Like i said though, I would hope an A-51 doesnt have that issue. Would be awfull silly.

*shrugs* A quick search shows noone whos posted their experiance of trying said conversion... But hey, I cant see any reason to not give it a try...

If I decide to buy the geforce 7900GTX and try it out in my laptop, how would I know if the video card is or is not compatible with the laptop? I got speedfan installed on my laptop so would I just turn the laptop on after the videocard is installed and see how fasts the laptop heats up or do I listen to see if the fan is running or what?

If the video card is not compatible with the laptop, will it damage the laptop? Like, what is the worst case scanario?

The GF 7900 GS has a current consumption of 20 watts and the GF 7900 GTX has a current consumption of 40 watts. Does anyone know how much current consumption the radeon x1900 have? I want to compare the GF 7900GTX with the radeon x1900 in terms of power consumption.

Edited by Kyawmm01

Guest Lsgraham
The GF 7900 GS has a current consumption of 20 watts and the GF 7900 GTX has a current consumption of 40 watts. Does anyone know how much current consumption the radeon x1900 have? I want to compare the GF 7900GTX with the radeon x1900 in terms of power consumption.

I have just done this, it fits and is controlled but I am having problems getting windows to recognise it in Directx. For example trying to run a screensaver such as 3d flowerbox gives me a message of 'not compatible direct3d device'

Any suggestion? The card I am using was out a broken laptop and was 1 of a pair of 7900gs that were used in sli (i have the other as well)

I have just done this, it fits and is controlled but I am having problems getting windows to recognise it in Directx. For example trying to run a screensaver such as 3d flowerbox gives me a message of 'not compatible direct3d device'

Any suggestion? The card I am using was out a broken laptop and was 1 of a pair of 7900gs that were used in sli (i have the other as well)

Just used the driver on the front page with the INF file and all is working well! Just waiting for my new CPU (a 7200) to replace the 5200 in it at moment.

P.S. I will be selling other 7900gs on ebay shortly

Guest Kyawmm01
Just used the driver on the front page with the INF file and all is working well! Just waiting for my new CPU (a 7200) to replace the 5200 in it at moment.

So the area-51 m5550 can run the geforce go 7900 GS without over heating but windows cant recognize it in directx?

So the area-51 m5550 can run the geforce go 7900 GS without over heating but windows cant recognize it in directx?

all fine with right driver

hi there,

i am very interested in the second 7900 gs as i want to run sli on my alienware m9700.

will it work on my laptop though?

please send me an email if you want to sell.

cheers

flintz