LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce 7600 Go Compatible with DirectX 10

Guest Aki

Hi every body!

I have search for this "mysterium" and i haven`t found anywithing.

So I ask you guys here, hoping to help me.

Is my GeForce 7600 Go with 256 DDR dedicated RAM compatible with DirectX 10 ?

By the way, I have a HP Pavilion dv9043ea.

I hope you can answer me.

Thanks a lot.

Aki

Of course not.

It still isn't worth the time anyway. Only game that uses it to any real extent is Crysis, but running that game in vista with DX 10 effects turned on would probably give you 4 FPS on that graphics card.

You should stick to XP and enjoy all of your games in DX 9 on that. DX 9 is still king in gaming.

Of course not.

It still isn't worth the time anyway. Only game that uses it to any real extent is Crysis, but running that game in vista with DX 10 effects turned on would probably give you 4 FPS on that graphics card.

You should stick to XP and enjoy all of your games in DX 9 on that. DX 9 is still king in gaming.

Have to agree. I'm running Vista Home Premium which has DX10 but the problem is I have a 9700GS chip in my laptop which is DX9 only which means I can only run DX9 games. Do I look worried? Of course not. DX9 is at the moment is still the King. By the time more and more games feature DX10, it will be time to upgrade yet again anyway...

You should be worried, losing all of that performance in DX 9 just because your running Vista. If you don't have DX10 hardware there is no real reason to even consider using vista. Even if you have the hardware its debatable if you should be using vista at the moment.

DirectX 10 isn't really any more advanced from DirectX 9. If anything 10 only provided a more uniform driver standard for Kernel Mode driver acceleration with User mode level access and a few extensions suited for advanced hardware. Basically it's really termed by Microsoft as DX9Ext.

As far as your GeForce Go 7600 is concerned... all DirectX 9.0 specification hardware will support DirectX 10 via DirectX 9.0 with the Extensions, so yes your 7600 is supported.

As far as gaming support goes... DirectX 9.0 is more cross-compatible between the 2000/XP series rather than Vista only with DirectX 10. The Alky Project at http://alkyproject.blogspot.com/ has created 2000/XP specific patches for running DirectX 10 games on 2000/XP.

If anything anymore the playing field has been leveled between Vista and 2000/XP so even if you want to run XP or Vista you can get near equal results from both.

Near equal results?

You must not have seen the benchmarks between Crysis running at very high in vista on GF8 VS very high settings hack in DX 9 on XP.

At least 5 FPS difference.

And on a single laptop GPU you would probably only get 10-15 with all settings maxed at WUXGA, so 5 FPS less is a big difference.

At these graphics settings in Crysis it is very hard to notice the graphics differences most of the time. (most screenshots you can't tell the difference)

Actually 5 FPS is a minimal gain or loss anymore unless you are still using CRT based monitors. Most LCD based monitors only display at 60 FPS max due to the different way LCDs render graphical displays known as KSYNC rather than the older VSYNC+HSYNC method. This means instead of being rendered one pixel at a time per clock rate/cycle, the entire frame is rendered all at once per clock rate/cycle. While there are options for VSYNC in drivers the meaning is vague. This is actually a frame rate limiter rather than a sync rate of draw/render.

On CRT monitors you can have as fast of a draw rate as the monitor will allow sometimes as much as 200FPS or more if the Vertical Sync and Horizontal Sync will allow that fast of a render. On LCDs it's different. There is only one rate of refresh due to the fact the entire frame is drawn at once and it's NTSC specified 60 Frames (or PAL/SECAM 50 FPS) Per Second of Renders. An LCD can do no faster than this.

This is why LCDs use scaling technology for various screen sizes. By default the screen displayed is the same as the monitors default setting but scaled and stretched to fit if told to. Even if you tell the monitor to use 640x480 and your screen is only 1280x800, you'll still have a 1280x800 draw but scaled up and stretched to fit.

CRTs reactivate the screen draw at that exact resolution. This is why the CRT monitor turns off and then turns back on.

Many benchmarks are performed on CRT monitors to give the most accurate rate of frames drawn per second. If it was done on a LCD technology the results would have been equal in many ways but the max frames rendered would be much different.

Edited by whitetigerx7