LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How to dissipate heat from my new GPU...

aesoo

Hello.

I own an Amilo 3438.

I'm going to upgrade it to a 7900Go Gs.

However, i know a little problem : The thermic pad (with cloth on) of the 6800Go has gone bad.

So, i'm asking myself : what should i use to replace it , on the 7900Go GPU.

Indeed, there is a little space, between the heatsink, and the GPU...Should i use thermal pads(without cloth on, like I already have), or Thermal paste? Or should I buy new Cloth Thermal Pad? In this case, where?

Thanks your answers...

Edited by aesoo

1) The ones without cloth are not good enough.

2) Usage of thermal paste has been identified as one of the posible reasons for the high fail rate of the 7900's I sold.

3) I can offer you decent thermal pads now or very good ones in about two weeks.

Thanks for reply, Mr. Tea.

I heard by a friend that thermal pads sold with x1900 were not cloth thermal pad...What's the difference?

I'm interested on the one you (will) have.

What's teh difference between the decent you have, and the very good that comes in 2 weeks^^?

Thanks for answers.

Cloth or not is not really the question, but the ones they put on the core have much better properties than the ones they put on the memories which should not be used for the core. It is often observed that the "good" ones are difficult to rework (some material reinforced with cloth/fiber/whatever. The "bad" material is often silicon-like material that is quite forgiving when it is being reworked.

I currently have material that can handle 6W/mK, which was the best I could find on the open market at the time.

No I have 17W/mK material on the way. Had to sell my left testicle for it though.

Cloth or not is not really the question, but the ones they put on the core have much better properties than the ones they put on the memories which should not be used for the core. It is often observed that the "good" ones are difficult to rework (some material reinforced with cloth/fiber/whatever. The "bad" material is often silicon-like material that is quite forgiving when it is being reworked.

I currently have material that can handle 6W/mK, which was the best I could find on the open market at the time.

No I have 17W/mK material on the way. Had to sell my left testicle for it though.

Thanks for your answers^^.

I will wait for 2 weeks, your rocking pads^^.

1) The ones without cloth are not good enough.

2) Usage of thermal paste has been identified as one of the posible reasons for the high fail rate of the 7900's I sold.

3) I can offer you decent thermal pads now or very good ones in about two weeks.

Hi Kris,

how's it hanging? by the way... happy new year!

Well... some months ago i've replaced my burned geforce go6800 with a newer one on my amilo m3438g, remeber? The problem is that i've used thermal pads with low thermal conductivity 3 w/mk (a sample of chomerics therm-a-gap 974) on GPU core and on memories... now GPU core temp idle is around c 60°-65° idle and GPU ambient temp is around c 48°-50°... just a little higher I guess... the cpu temp instead is around c 48°-50°... in this case shin-etsu PCS-TC-11T-13 phase change thermal pad works obviously fine.

I was thinking to use your new pads (17 k/mw maybe?), if it's possible, in order to replace the older ones Let me know, it's important to me.

Thanks mate!

Max

p.s.: can send you my left testicle for it! :)

Edited by Maxamilo

Mmmh Does someone know, if drill a hole in the heatsink (more accurately, in the steel plate covering the graphic card), to fit the heatsink, to the graphic card memories, would be negative for heat dissipation?

PS: You'll own 3 testicles, then...

mon ami, it's a very nice pad (20 w/mk... wow!), but it's too thin and it's not electrically insulating as well... should be at least 1.0 mm thickness and electrically insulating, just like this for example... http://it.farnell.com/jsp/search/productde...jsp?sku=1372943, but surely Ice-Tea has better ones.

Edited by Maxamilo

mon ami, it's a very nice pad (20 w/mk... wow!), but it's too thin and it's not electrically insulating as well... should be at least 1.0 mm thickness and electrically insulating, just like this for example... http://it.farnell.com/jsp/search/productde...jsp?sku=1372943, but surely Ice-Tea has better ones.

I was wondering if 0.5 mm would be enough, with a customised heatsink^^.

Still nothing for your 17w/mk pads, dear Mr Tea?

I was wondering if 0.5 mm would be enough, with a customised heatsink^^.

Still nothing for your 17w/mk pads, dear Mr Tea?

I'm shipping them now :)

Would seem to work rather nicely but they are fragile..