LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS M1730

SulZero

I sold my Toshiba Qosmio G40-10E, and used the cash onlong with some more to get a Dell XPS M1730, The Qosmio was nice, but its more of a multimedia laptop and lacked performance, when it came to gaming and using 3d studio and other editing progams. The specs I got are below..

Intel Core 2 Duo - T7700 2.4Ghz

Dual 8700M GT SLi

320gb Raid 0 7,400rpm HD

4gb Ram, 667Mhz

Windows Vista Ultimate

17" 1920X1200 WUXGA

Ageia PhysX 100M

Iam looking forward to when it arrives, this laptop is truly a Beast!!

Hey, Yeah thats nearly the same specs as my 1730, but i dont have the ageia physx card. Good system, if you want to over clock it it will go better.

With dell drivers for the graphics, i was doing 8050 on 3dmark06 (no OC), i just installed 169.04 and overclocked (to well under its capabilities) but it crashes when i try and do a 3dmark06 test. Need more testing.

Ah cool, I am gonna see if I can keep the Temps down and OC higher :)

Is it possible to OC the CPU via the BIOS or can that only be done with the X7900 Extreme CPU??

You should have used the money on RAM for better CPU. 4 gig of ram is just a waste =/

Also, you can only OC via DELL's OC tool in bios with the X7900.

Be aware of some problems and diificulties in games using 8700m SLi + Vista. It's a common problem with this system. I suggest installing 169.28 driver with mod INF when it arrives. It's the most stable driver for me so far. And works great. Also, try to remove all those s2pid softwares dell installed in your system. And I hope you didn't purchase anti virus softwares with that machine. Avast, a free anti virus software is better than those! It's also resource friendly.

Neway, have fun with the beast. =) I like mine very much but it lacks a lot of software support. It makes you think if you're really utilizing the pwoer of your hardwares. =/

And to the guy who said he doesn't have AgiaPhysX... I believe every M1730 has it. It didn't give me a choice whether I want it or not when I pruchase it.

• 1 month later...

You clearly have no idea what you have bought. The AgiaPhysX card is a seperate card.

In regards with spent more money on a faster cpu rather then ram, With me the next upgrade for the cpu was over a thousand dollars.. makes that a bit over priced.

I really hope you read this so you may think twice before you post crap.

• 7 months later...
Guest system error
You clearly have no idea what you have bought. The AgiaPhysX card is a seperate card.

In regards with spent more money on a faster cpu rather then ram, With me the next upgrade for the cpu was over a thousand dollars.. makes that a bit over priced.

I really hope you read this so you may think twice before you post crap.

Rik. the M1730 comes with the Agia PhysX card! so do a bit mroe reading and/or just go to the dell website and it states it plain and clear it comes with it! no choice but to get it when you buy the M1730!

a line i once read from an idiot was.... "I really hope you read this so you may think twice before you post crap."

system error