LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Mobile Hard Drives Hit 500GB

mobilenvidia

500GB, thats a big leap from current 250GB max

I'm so in need of more space, Ill be very tempted when they come out next month.

New Hitachi drive represents a giant leap forward in notebook storage.

Notebook PC disk storage leaps into the stratosphere today, hitting the half-terabyte mark with Hitachi Global Storage Technologies' announcement of a 500GB 2.5-inch mobile hard drive.

Due out in February 2008, the $400 Travelstar 5K500 drive will dramatically expand the capacity possible in today's notebook PC designs.

Hitachi's announcement makes it the largest capacity mobile 2.5-inch hard drive. Previous high-water capacity marks for 2.5-inch drives included Fujitsu's 300GB drive and Toshiba's 320GB drive. Hitachi's jump to 500GB represents a whopping 36 percent increase in a single bound. (Hitachi also announced a 400GB version for $350.)

For the whole article from PCWorld head on over here

The real leap IMO will be when Solid State Hard Drives finally go mainstream replacing the spinning type disk drives. Most common SSD drives only have about 40GB total in size at maximum for a huge cost. Hopefully mass production and more sales will drive costs down eventually.

When they make them 9.5 mm high I will care.

12.5 mm high drivers were hip 5 years ago.

I cannot fit 3 of these fat drives in my new laptop without modifications.

lol omg 3 of those things in your laptop :) massive I would already be happy with 1 :) and the external drive of 500 gig I have now. Btw is it possible to replace the graphiccard thats in the m1710 I have a 7900 go gs and want to replace it with a directx 10 card or even dual someone knows? I have send a mail to dell but will get a reply monday or tuesday so if anyone knows already here plz lemme know thx!

The Best you can upgrade to is the go7950GTX, no DX10 for your machine and definitly no SLi, you'll need the 1730 for DX10 and SLi

Ah ok that sucks xd oh well so at least I can change it to a 7950GTX, u know if this can be done by DELL? Thx mobile

Its not that hard to change it yourself. Sure you need to take almost the whole laptop apart, but it only takes a few minutes and only one type of screwdriver.

Dell has the full manual on their website, read it from their support site before you pay to send it in.

Yeah ur right today i cleaned my laptop and it was pretty easy to take the laptop apart but I like to let someone do it so I have warranty xd