LaptopVideo2Go Forums

replacement of vga-card in amilo m4438g

Guest MBO

hello everyone,

my vga in my amilo m4438g is broken. fsc can't deliver any new 6800go at the moment and i found your interesting website with the possibility to put an ati 1900 in my notebook. therefore i have some questions.

1. whats with the fan? i need an nvidia driver to switch it automatically off , while working with the notebook (win xp, dreamweaver, photshop, etc.) and in idle mode. will this work with an ati driver and the nhc profile from your upgrade-page too?

fortunately right now i can use my notebook without nvidia driver and without installing an appropriate driver, just win xp, but the fan is always on. i tried the nhc-profile you suggested on your upgrade-page, but this profile didn't manage to stop the fan, it is always on, and thats very annoying. therefore i need a solution to turn down the fan if it is not necessary. is it possible with an ati card?

2. Do you have any other nvidia vga cards in stock with a similar or better performance? because therefore i can use the nvidia driver and can control the fan.

3. The cooling-pads are broken and i think it is better to use new ones with a new card. do you have these pads in stock?

thanks for your feedback

hello everyone,

my vga in my amilo m4438g is broken. fsc can't deliver any new 6800go at the moment and i found your interesting website with the possibility to put an ati 1900 in my notebook. therefore i have some questions.

1. whats with the fan? i need an nvidia driver to switch it automatically off , while working with the notebook (win xp, dreamweaver, photshop, etc.) and in idle mode. will this work with an ati driver and the nhc profile from your upgrade-page too?

fortunately right now i can use my notebook without nvidia driver and without installing an appropriate driver, just win xp, but the fan is always on. i tried the nhc-profile you suggested on your upgrade-page, but this profile didn't manage to stop the fan, it is always on, and thats very annoying. therefore i need a solution to turn down the fan if it is not necessary. is it possible with an ati card?

2. Do you have any other nvidia vga cards in stock with a similar or better performance? because therefore i can use the nvidia driver and can control the fan.

3. The cooling-pads are broken and i think it is better to use new ones with a new card. do you have these pads in stock?

thanks for your feedback

1) I recently verified that with high performance heatpads controlling the fan with NHC is enough to keep the temp down.

2) Nope, sorry.

3) A fresh (and damn good) heatpad for the GPU is always included. The mem heatpads can be reused, even if they are in less than perfect state.

1) I recently verified that with high performance heatpads controlling the fan with NHC is enough to keep the temp down.

2) Nope, sorry.

3) A fresh (and damn good) heatpad for the GPU is always included. The mem heatpads can be reused, even if they are in less than perfect state.

thanks for your feedback.

But my problem is not keeping the temp down with an ati card. My problem is the annoying fan. I wan't to know if it is off in idle mode, or is it always on? With the nvidia driver it is off in normal operations in windows xp (surfing, office, etc.) it just tuns on every 10-30 min for a few seconds.

You described a solution with a thermistor. Does this solution behaves the way I want it?

thanks for your feedback.

But my problem is not keeping the temp down with an ati card. My problem is the annoying fan. I wan't to know if it is off in idle mode, or is it always on? With the nvidia driver it is off in normal operations in windows xp (surfing, office, etc.) it just tuns on every 10-30 min for a few seconds.

You described a solution with a thermistor. Does this solution behaves the way I want it?

You don't have to turn on the fan with NHC for "normal" opertion if you don't want to. The fan will only kick in to cool the CPU from time to time just like it does right now. An alternative is to let the fan run very slowly through NHC to make sure the GPU is not overheating.

The thermistor circuit does the same: allow the CPU to control the fan but if the GPU temp becomes too hot it will let the fan run full blast untill it cools down.