LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba P100-P105 7600 Go Stuttering EXPLAINED

bachag

Let me explain what is the exact problem.

Toshiba P100 laptops with nVidia GPUs have serious issues with gaming or graphics related applications.

You can have two situations:

1. The fan works (GPU temperature is around 60'C when playing games) but the 3d performance is very bad. Games stutter (sudden drop of FPS for 0.5-1 sec every 5 to 10 seconds) and you never get good average FPS.

2. 3D performance is amazing, not stuttering, average FPS of 50+. However, the fan does not work at all; it stays off and the GPU temp reaches 90'C.

I don't think it is a good idea to stay with the second option since your laptop overheats and you can seriously damage your hardware.

I'm using a Toshiba P105-6227. The only way of having the first option is using BIOS 3.3 with the original Toshiba driver "nVidia Display Driver for Windows Vista (v9.7.5.4; 01-05-2007; 50.95M)".

Any other combination will improve 3d performance and stuttering, but the fan will not work. I have even tried the new nVidia driver with BIOS 4.2 and it didn't work.

In conclusion, there is a serious problem with Toshiba P100-P105 laptops and it isn't normal that the GPU temp reaches 80-90'C. Dust inside the laptop is not the problem, even though Toshiba support will tell you to clean up the dust from the fan if you call them by phone.

Finally, I hope Toshiba releases a good driver/BIOS upgrade that will remove the stuttering issue AND keep the fan working. This issue has been out for at least 1 year and Toshiba has done nothing to fix it.

Thank you,

Gabriel

• 4 months later...

yes, I can fully confirm, no real solution to this problem exists yet and this problem is here for very long time. Toshiba P100/P105 with nVidia GPU are expansive machines and Toshiba somehow can't find a fix for 3D performance of this notebook (and this is why many people have bought it)

yes, I can fully confirm, no real solution to this problem exists yet and this problem is here for very long time. Toshiba P100/P105 with nVidia GPU are expansive machines and Toshiba somehow can't find a fix for 3D performance of this notebook (and this is why many people have bought it)

Hi guys just want to check with you if you can use latest nvidia drive 174.xxx driver and being able to overclock and also check if you GPU mhz is in 3d mode. Mine seem to stay at 2d clock. My card is a 7600 go

Edited by Wagnard

• 3 months later...

Hey guys

Don't know if you're still checking this...

Toshiba UK released a bios flash, v4.20 some time ago which, when combined with updated nvidia drivers (I'm using 169.35 from laptopvideo2go.com) means that I get silky FPS and, mostly, reasonable temperatures.

I've got p105-s9337 i think.... the same as yours but its got a 256mb 7900GS in it instead.