LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Sir Edmund Hillary is farewelled today

mobilenvidia

I know nothing related to laptops or video etc etc.

But this man has inspired an entire country including me.

I looked up to him when I was younger than I am now.

He got me off my bottom and into the New Zealand hills.

Ofcourse now I'm back on my bottom, but that is a different story, you guys are to blame for that :)

For those of you not up with the play, Sir Ed along with Tenzing Norgay first climbed Mt Everest.

He also was the first to cross the Antarctic (on a tractor)

Jet boated up the Ganges river and many other things aong the way.

His most imperssive work is his tireless efforts in Nepal in building schools and hospitals where there were none.

His service is held today in Auckland, the only non Prime Minister to ever get a State Funeral.

Also the only living person to ever be on a New Zealand Bank note.

So he is held in very high regard down here.

Anyway this is my wee tribute to a great man.

Below is Phurenje Sherpa placing Sir Ed's famous hat on the only full statue of Sir Ed in the world.

Phurenje is proof of Sir Ed's work in Nepal in educating the people and providing hospitals.

Nyree my wife made the hat from archive pictures, a proud day for her as I see it was shown around the globe.

We both (and Phurenje) work at the Hermitage Hotel where last month we opened a museum/3D Cinema/Museum complex in his honour,more details can be found here

sir_ed.jpg

Sorry to hear about that, mobilenvidia. Those are some fantastic feats that he has accomplished though, and his name will definitely live on!! :)

Sorry to hear about that, mobilenvidia. Those are some fantastic feats that he has accomplished though, and his name will definitely live on!! :)

Absolutely. He was held in high regard and was a top bloke. RIP

Fare thee well sir. Fare thee well.