LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Laptop Overclocking Questions

greatgraddage

Hi, just got a new Acer with a 8600M GS 256mb card, getting benchmarks of about 2200 from 3dmark06. From what I read these can easilly be overclocked and may be running underclocked for heat issues. Does overclocking give that much extra performance and what is the cost? Laptops obviously have cooling issues compared to desktops so will the extra heat cause any major problems? Will it shorten the lifespan of the card? How easy is it to do and monitor temperature?

Has anyone got any reccomendations for drivers for this particular card?

Many thanks

Edited by greatgraddage

Hi, just got a new Acer with a 8600M GS 256mb card, getting benchmarks of about 2200 from 3dmark06. From what I read these can easilly be overclocked and may be running underclocked for heat issues. Does overclocking give that much extra performance and what is the cost? Laptops obviously have cooling issues compared to desktops so will the extra heat cause any major problems? Will it shorten the lifespan of the card? How easy is it to do and monitor temperature?

Many thanks

Hello ive been trying to overclock this card also and i'm getting good results.

The problem with drivers is that you can only seem to overclock the card with 169.04 drivers (or older?). If tried newer ones but then the clock keep resetting to the factory settings. So use 169.04.

coreclock 450 and memclock 400 (shaders 900) are my factory settings. (ddr2 mem there are also 8600gs cards with ddr3)

The card seems to overclock really good because i can play crysis with core 620 and mem 520.

Which is a huge increase in performance. Havent run 3dmark though.

But..... the thing i'm worried about now is that my card heats up to about 87 degrees. I have no idea if this is bad for my laptop at all.

I read the core burns at 120 degrees. :') but what about running games at 87 degrees. I see no artifacts onscreen so it seems to run good but am i damaging my card and laptop with these settings?

Please reply :)

Many thanks

Yeah, Overclocking actually boosts your scores incredibly high. I've got the same laptop than you (But 8600M-GT), and i get 3559 3DMarks without OC, and 4408 with OC ! So it's nearly 1000 points more, it's a huge difference ! It doesn't cost anything, it's free, you just need some OC tools, like RivaTuner. No, it won't cause any problems, if the temperature stays constant.

Hello ive been trying to overclock this card also and i'm getting good results.

The problem with drivers is that you can only seem to overclock the card with 169.04 drivers (or older?). If tried newer ones but then the clock keep resetting to the factory settings. So use 169.04.

coreclock 450 and memclock 400 (shaders 900) are my factory settings. (ddr2 mem there are also 8600gs cards with ddr3)

The card seems to overclock really good because i can play crysis with core 620 and mem 520.

Which is a huge increase in performance. Havent run 3dmark though.

But..... the thing i'm worried about now is that my card heats up to about 87 degrees. I have no idea if this is bad for my laptop at all.

I read the core burns at 120 degrees. :') but what about running games at 87 degrees. I see no artifacts onscreen so it seems to run good but am i damaging my card and laptop with these settings?

Please reply :)

87 degrees, hmm... That's kind of high. Try to DL the 171.16 Drivers, they can be overclocked and corrects some heating problems too.

87 degrees, hmm... That's kind of high. Try to DL the 171.16 Drivers, they can be overclocked and corrects some heating problems too.

I thought so.. ill try the 171.16 drivers. What temperatures do you overclock to? (even if you have a GT and another laptop)

I thought so.. ill try the 171.16 drivers. What temperatures do you overclock to? (even if you have a GT and another laptop)

Oh same laptop i see Acer Aspire 5920G here too. (with GS though)

Hello,

I have other questions about cards overclocking :

I have a HP with a 8400gs unfortunatelly with DDR2 (530Mhz maxi without artefacts), but fortunatelly with a good cooler (GPU and CPU have their own heatpipe/radiator with a comon fan) so core temp overclocked are low: 55°C @ 550 Mhz ...

My questions:

I think that risk for core is very low conciderring Temperatures, but what about electronic component on motherboard which feed (with electricity) graphic card ??? Could they burn because of over consumption generated by OC ???? ???

Ok, I got SpeedFan to check my temps and there are 4 temperatures reporting, 2 CPU, one HD and another which I assume is the graphics card (Calls it Temp1 and is an ACPI chip). Playing CS:Source it hits about 70 and idling it hovers just over 50, that's about the most I want it to be at really isn't it? Not worth the risk to overclock?

I get only around 70 degrees when OC'd.

Hm i'm running 82 degrees crysis stable now. I can't overclock on the 171.16 Drivers though. Very strange only the GT overclocks with this driver. Nvidia wants me to upgrade i guess :')

Hm i'm running 82 degrees crysis stable now. I can't overclock on the 171.16 Drivers though. Very strange only the GT overclocks with this driver. Nvidia wants me to upgrade i guess :')

I'm running 72 degrees when not overclocked.