LaptopVideo2Go Forums

For those of you wanting an Acer Aspire 5920G - DO NOT GET IT!

tabish

Why?

Well you would expect a PC this new to have USB 2.0 in all it's ports, right?

WRONG.

There are 4 USB ports on this so called gaming rig, *I'll tell you why later*

2 of the ports are USB 1.0! NOT EVEN USB 1.1! USB 1.0 was introduced in NOVEMBER 1995! http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5376/usbmg4.jpg

Now why the laptop is not exactly a gaming rig.

RAM. Yes, there is 2GB of it, but it only runs at a speed of 333Mhz! http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9898/ramhg3.jpg

BioShock only runs at 800x600 max. and STILL lags!

Crysis? Lags at at 640x480!

Other things.

The laptop has a 15.4 widescreen LCD. Resolution? 1280x800. Capped there. Can't go further.

15 inch screens go at a resolution of 1440x900.

I made a mistake buying this. And I don't want anyone else here making the same.

Enjoy this review.

There are 4 USB ports on this so called gaming rig, *I'll tell you why later*

2 of the ports are USB 1.0! NOT EVEN USB 1.1! USB 1.0 was introduced in NOVEMBER 1995!

Yup, there's only two USB 2.0, but the others are most certainly 1.1. Why? Try transferring files from a usb drive from any slot to the comp, you'll not be seeing 1.5Mb rate, alot higher actually. The picture itself proofed you wrong, the interface is UHCI which means 1.1, ECHI is 2.0.

RAM. Yes, there is 2GB of it, but it only runs at a speed of 333Mhz!

The original frequency is most definitely 333MHz, hence DDR, double data rate, 667MHz. Simple maths = (number u see) * 2

BioShock only runs at 800x600 max. and STILL lags!

Crysis? Lags at at 640x480!

Update you video driver to the latest version, get them from this website. Searcg around, people have been playing these games just fine with the same laptop

The laptop has a 15.4 widescreen LCD. Resolution? 1280x800. Capped there. Can't go further.

15 inch screens go at a resolution of 1440x900.

Your fault for not researching, and 15 inch doesn't exactly = 1440*900. Actually 1280*800 is better in my opinion, I don't think the 5920g is a gaming laptop since the GPU is middle-ranged, so having that native resolution would be sufficient. Reso eats FPS

I made a mistake buying this. And I don't want anyone else here making the same.

No, it's just that you're careless and lack a hell load of knowledge

I don't know if you're purposely trolling or whatever, but please, at least state some fact, then it'll be a good review

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Santa_Claus

What have you guys been smoking?

USB 1.0?

Did you guys install the chipset driver on your laptop?

My 5920G works beautifully, I play all latest games in high quality or even highest quality INCLUDING BIOSHOCK with NO LAG!!! I tryed Crysis demo and worked on mid quality high res.

But seriously USB 1.0?!?

OK, page 2 of the service manual: "Four USB 2.0 ports".

To prove: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DL3WLVE9

P.S.: If the link does not work I will trust that your google skills are "slightly" better than your computing skills.

:)

ICH8 doesn't come with USB1.x

It features USB 2.0

PCWizard has to update their tool to don't confuse their users.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Patrick

What a crappy review! :) What a nonsens! :)

I have an Aspire 5920G 602G25Mn myself and it works just perfect like it should, so no problems playing Crysis and other high performance games. And the USB ports and the Ram memory are as fast as any other new laptops, so don't know how why this Tabish is spitting rubbish about the Aspire 5920G, fine laptop in my opinion! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

What a bunch of BS

Crysis runs perfectly at high on my 5920G

USB2!! works on all ports.

great laptop...

the resolution is standard for such a monitor

what a stupid post, i hope someone deletes this post for just being nonsense.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 5920G

I have a 5920G too. I tried on Crysis. By using resolution 1280x800 with all medium settings, i can play it smoothly.

My laptop doesn't seem to have any usb ports problem.

• 4 weeks later...

me too!!

it's a good laptop.. no problem.. it's fantastic plaing unreal tournament III!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wahyu

the 5920g in indonesia is slightly diffrnt from other countries, Specs: core2duo T7500 2.2ghz, ram (upgraded to 4gb) geForce 8600GT 512vram,...How's that???

that should fry the crysis

Guest orlando

Hi everybody, I have the 5920G but I purchased it in Saudi Arabia for very low price, hence the VGA comes completly in arabic, I tried to find the drivers but it seems that it doesnt recognize any of them, could you help me to find it in english so i can make modifications?

thanks in advance...........orlandomega@gmail.com

it all boils down to driver...

USB1.1 has not existed since ICH5 (ie Intel i865 chipset for desktop)...

do some optimization before playing...

even my 8600M GS can play crysis pretty smooth at mid settings...

if u re expecting 50fps at high setting in crysis, pls, get urself a quad core desktop with GeForce 9800GX2 instead, not a laptop running on a dual core with 800MHz FSB and a mid-range graphic card...

• 3 months later...
Guest Minority_at_one

Crysis with 8600m GT Mid setting = smooth????

Are you guys kidding me???? Try to measure the framerates using FRAPS!!!!

I'm playing it using Low setting with 5930G 9600M GT and only get somewhere around 40 fps (that's the min fps you can play in FPS)

Unless you're trying to get a moving screenshot of crysis, you can play it at high setting on your 8600m GT lol....

• 1 month later...

Hey Somebody here? I have bought an Acer Aspire 5920g 602G25Mn ... I have Windows Vista installed but i want to install Windows XP ... where i can find the windows xp drivers, i've looked on acers site ... http://www.acer.com.my/service/drivers/dow...type=Windows+XP and no link doesn't work anymore ... i neet them quickly plz!

sry for my english!

dang, you guys should really stop bashing him so much...

its just alot of misconceptions... and it all boils down to a software program not giving the right info, and him not understanding the importance of updating drivers.

instead of bashing him, why dont you correct him and guide him in the right direction, and let other users know that the info is not entirely accurate.