LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HP DV9640

Guest bentleylv

Guest bentleylv

I have an HP DV9640 with the Nvidia GeForce Go 8600M GS what are my option for upgrading, tweaking, overclocking. I can barely run bioshock or crysis. Also what driver do you recommend. Im confused I run a system test in everest and it says I have a x86 processor but I thought my vista home premium was 32 bit. Can anyone help me with these issues.

• 5 months later...

what are your laptop specs?

x86 is Vista 32 Bit

Can't upgrade this laptop to my own knowledge, overclocking is not recommended. Try 174.32 driver, works well for me. Still a bit laggy in Bioshock however, I guess its just the 8600GS.

Good Luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have an HP DV9640 with the Nvidia GeForce Go 8600M GS what are my option for upgrading, tweaking, overclocking. I can barely run bioshock or crysis. Also what driver do you recommend. Im confused I run a system test in everest and it says I have a x86 processor but I thought my vista home premium was 32 bit. Can anyone help me with these issues.

x86 means the type of CPU you have......that just means you have an x86 based pc......remember 286.....386.....486 cpu's back in the day.......maybe you don't maybe i am just old. X86 does not mean vista 32 bit!!!!! The 64 bit version is also a x86 based CPU. This is the archatechture of your CPU not the width of the data bus. 32 bit verses 64 bit is simply this....lets go to the well and get 2 buckets of water instead of 1 at a time.....but 2 buckets are heavier than 1.....so you better get stronger.

I do not know about upgrading video but I sure am going to look into it. I would like a better GPU myself. I did find the following article that may help.....I figure if I open this thing up and see an MXM port I'm good with that......anyway I think this is some good info along the lines of what you are seeking....

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Upgrade-Repla...ard.3236.0.html

Check out the T7100 CPU

$215....the higher front side bus speed will do you some good. I slapped that thing in my DV9640 and all is well. The T5250 the laptop comes with kinda sux......get a new CPU!!!!! I play Supreme Commander allot.....and when I built a bunch of units.....like over 200 or so the commands I specified took a while to be executed....after the new CPU.....bam!!!!! My tanks were a rollin and my Commander was a buildin!!!!! The dv9640 is very upgradable.....

I see that someone here says there are no upgrades available for my laptop for video but someone also said that X86 means vista 32 bit.....so I am going to continue to look into this......wheres my screw driver....dammit!!!!!

About the problem that is still at hand, (drivers): First of all, by barely you mean at what settings and at what fps? Your options for o/c and such are limited only by your drivers. Try the 177.41 or 175.80. They will most likely offer some increased fps+ an the options of changing clock settings. Good luck!

• 1 year later...