LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Clock rate changes

Guest Quinn1981

Guest Quinn1981

Well, it's not so much crazy as just annoying. I have an Asus G2S with the 8600M GT. It's be fabulous, but I recently needed a format and now with any driver I choose, I either get no automatic clock change (with the Asus ones I've noticed, that is, unless I change the power profile and it still stays at that clock) or one that changes too much the wrong way.

Before, I had the full 3d clock which is like 475/700 and the lesser one, which was like 275/300. When I played 3d stuff, it stayed at the higher clock with no issue. Now, when I run 3d apps, it keeps trying to clock down and then bumps back up. This is obviously bad. Also, after coming from the top 3d clock down to the lower power 3d clock, it goes down to this normal 2d clock... which I wasn't aware existed. It's like 170/100. Aero basically runs like poo at this clock.

I've got Vista 32 bit with SP1. This happened without SP1 after the format. I've used a driver cleaner and tried numerous driver versions. I'm not much of an expert on this and need some help.

Also, clocking up the 2d clock doesn't fix anything as the clock tries to change in mid 3d mode. Also, I can't clock it high enough anyway.

Any information would be helpful.

Guest Quinn1981

Ok... I had bios and power management issues, but that's all fixed (vista also didn't install correctly... really bad month).

What I would like to know is how I could turn off the 2d clock and only have the lower 3d and higher 3d clocks. The 2d one causes jerks in aero and skips in audio and isn't concussive to my audio recording coming out ok.

Anybody know which inf entries to change? I can turn off the auto throttling myself by taking out the powersupply settings, but I want them back if I could get just those two. I'm able to switch it down to the low 3d clock by using my power profiles... so I'm getting along. Just need some tips on how to get back to where I was before with just the high and low 3d clocks. Not sure why I was able to not have the 2d one on my first vista install with all the drivers I used from this site (which I love the INFs.... THANK YOU SO MUCH).

Thanks for reading. :)

Guest BleuBleu
Ok... I had bios and power management issues, but that's all fixed (vista also didn't install correctly... really bad month).

What I would like to know is how I could turn off the 2d clock and only have the lower 3d and higher 3d clocks. The 2d one causes jerks in aero and skips in audio and isn't concussive to my audio recording coming out ok.

Anybody know which inf entries to change? I can turn off the auto throttling myself by taking out the powersupply settings, but I want them back if I could get just those two. I'm able to switch it down to the low 3d clock by using my power profiles... so I'm getting along. Just need some tips on how to get back to where I was before with just the high and low 3d clocks. Not sure why I was able to not have the 2d one on my first vista install with all the drivers I used from this site (which I love the INFs.... THANK YOU SO MUCH).

Thanks for reading. :)

Hi!

I have very similar issues but with a 7400 Go.

I recently formatted vista in order to install SP1 and have a fresh start. Now the aero performances are very unpredictable. Sometimes I will be simply browsing and the UI will feel laggy, but then when I do a Win+tab (3d switch) the speeds seem to go back to normal... I tried with various drivers released in the last 2-3 months and I always get the same result. How can I verify the clock speeds you are talking about ?

Mat

Guest Quinn1981

Get nTune from nVidia's website. It has a temp and clock monitor.

I've got a work around for this issue by commenting out the power stuff in the inf file. I would like things to be back the way they were. Glad I'm not the only one though. :-)

Maybe it's my restore disk. Not sure. One of these days I might get a retail disk and see if that helps.

I think the same thing might have happened to me :)

I reformatted with the recovery partition, and My cards seems to have gone bad

I do not know if it is a power issue, or it flashed from a DDR3 clocked card to a DDR2 clocked card

Guest Quinn1981

I doubt it messed up your card and certainly wouldn't change the type of ram on it. Just use the modded inf files from here and put a ; in front of the power entries.

;PowerSupply settings

Look for that and do that to the entries below it in that group. Should keep your clock at the desired rate. You can manually underclock it yourself then if you want it to be cooler when not gaming.

I'm personally looking for a fix to this problem... not sure what to do.

Guest BleuBleu

Ok found the solution!

I played with some of the power settings in the INF (mostly trial an error). Most of them dont change anything.

I found that disabling PowerMizer (Set PowerMizerEnable to 0) fixes EVERYTHING for me on my Dell.

Now the clock rates stays at the maximum when the AC cable is plugged in (450/900 on my 7400 Go). When I work on battery it alternates between 450/900 and 200/600 depending on my usage in the last 30 seconds. This is great.

Before that, the clock was switching between 2D and 3D mode all the time and the system was very unstable.

With the new setting, I have not seen it drop to 2D mode.

Thanks everyone.

Mat