LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Please Help me out...New Laptop & low Final Fantasy XI frame rate

Guest Spops

Hey guys a friend recomended that I visit this site, and hopefully you guys can help me out.

I just received my New Dell 1520 Laptop in the mail the other day. I immediatly downloaded the new version of POL for Vista and installed FFXI. I really thought this computer was going to give me my best FFXI experience and i have been really dissapointed. The frame rate is unbearably low. The game runs very choppy and freezes for a second or two very often. It is to the point where i can not functionally play the game on this new computer. My system specs far outweigh the reccomended system requirements from www.playonline.com. I have spoken to tech support from both dell and POL and have seem to have gotten no where. Dell tried to trouple shoot my graphics card and after 2 hours on the phone we got no where. POL just told me to update my graphics card, which i had already done.

Recommended SystemOperating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP

CPU: Intel® Pentium®4 processor

Memory: 256 MB RAM

Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForceFX? series graphics processing unit (AGP) with 64MB of VRAM

Sound Card: DirectX®8.1 compatible sound card

Hard Drive Space: 6 GB free hard disk space

CD-ROM Speed: 32x CD-ROM drive or faster (required only at installation)

Internet Connection: Always-on Internet connection

Other: Keyboard with 10-key numeric pad, mouse with scroll wheel

Below are my system specs:

My Components

PROCESSOR Intel® Core? 2 Duo T7100 (1.8GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition

DISPLAY High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch display (1680x1050)

VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

HARD DRIVE 160G 7200RPM SATA HDD

OPTICAL DRIVE CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)

WIRELESS NETWORK CARDS Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card

BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

INTEGRATED WEBCAM Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam

BATTERY OPTIONS 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)

SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0

So as you can see this computer should be able to run FFXI with out any problems at all. Hell I am able to run the new beta for "Tabula Rasa" with out and graphical problems or freezing up. I just really do not understand it. A friend said I probably needed a moded driver to get this to work correctly. I have been searching through this site for the past 2 hours and I am clueless as to which driver I would need.

Any help you guys can give me I would appreciate it

Thanks in advance.

Try this driver: 167.45 and replace the original .inf file in the driver folder with this: inf.

If that doesn't work, then see if updating the game would.

Try this driver: 167.45 and replace the original .inf file in the driver folder with this: inf.

If that doesn't work, then see if updating the game would.

It is an online MMORPG it updates itself very often. It seems to be a conflict between Nvidia and Vista with the drivers that dell has provided.

• 4 weeks later...

unfortunately you wont fix this problem right now. i to play ffxi and from what ive seen expereinced and read it comes down to: intel cpu + nvidia + vista = 5fps whitegate or any zone with more than 4-5 characters on screen. the new drivers are a slight improvement but nothing that will make the game playable (unless you enjoy 256x256 background res). SE promised to fix this issue with the WoTG expansion but all they did was work around dx9 (which is still not supported by the game) to dx8.1 instructoins to allow a much delayed windowed mode... i myself went back to xp home to have this game livable, and it runs great now (25+ fps whitegate ah). i doubt that SE or Nvidia will fix this issue with 8 series or 9 series cards for that matter but you never know.

Guest Killabudz
unfortunately you wont fix this problem right now. i to play ffxi and from what ive seen expereinced and read it comes down to: intel cpu + nvidia + vista = 5fps whitegate or any zone with more than 4-5 characters on screen. the new drivers are a slight improvement but nothing that will make the game playable (unless you enjoy 256x256 background res). SE promised to fix this issue with the WoTG expansion but all they did was work around dx9 (which is still not supported by the game) to dx8.1 instructoins to allow a much delayed windowed mode... i myself went back to xp home to have this game livable, and it runs great now (25+ fps whitegate ah). i doubt that SE or Nvidia will fix this issue with 8 series or 9 series cards for that matter but you never know.

I'm starting to think it is an issue with Intel CPU's. My friend and I both built new computers I'm running a 3.0 GHz Intel P4 Dual Core and my friend has a 2.6 GHz AMD; we both have the same exact Nividia Graphics card. Mine runs like crap on FFXI with the same lag everyone has described and his runs perfect NO LAG at all..... We both were in Dynamis and I could barley move and he had no problems what so ever. Not sure if this will help anyone but I'm beginning to believe what most say, Inetl P CPU's are garbage!

Try the 169.17 drivers. I had same problems on my Laptop, Intel CPU and 8600M GT.

169.17 solved it all.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dozedo

I just received a DELL Inspiron 1420 today and experiences similar problems. I would log into my account and POL would become extremely slow, and so would the game when I eventually got it to start. However I found that using a wireless connection as opposed to a land line made the game run fine... Im not sure if this is a connection issue or a drivers issue but it really doesnt make sense for the game to run faster on a g wireless connection as opposed to a land lined cable.

• 1 month later...
Guest misterfan

I'm having similar issues with the original poster. Thought i'd share my specs and experience so as you know it's most likely not a individual issue.

I just bought the HP Pavillion special edition laptop

Vista Home Premium

AMD Turion 64 X2

4Gig Ram

Geforce 7150M

"Aprox. Total Memory: 1068 MB "

I have also attempted to change game resolution through regedit and the game defaults back to low settings. Looks incredibly bad, VERY poor framerate and every 2-3 seconds the game sort of stutters or freezes for a split second.

Before this laptop i was using WinXP through bootcamp on a Macbook laptop which ran the game amazingly well. Makes me a little sad ; ;

I saw on playonline today the following news:

Compatible Graphics Cards and Newest Driver Software Information Updated (13/06/2008)

The NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and 9 series driver software has been updated and all related bugs have been fixed.

i'm not realy looking forward to re-install vista when i'm not 100% sure this is gonna work. Has enyone tried it yet?

• 1 month later...
Guest Xaroc
I saw on playonline today the following news:

Compatible Graphics Cards and Newest Driver Software Information Updated (13/06/2008)

The NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and 9 series driver software has been updated and all related bugs have been fixed.

i'm not realy looking forward to re-install vista when i'm not 100% sure this is gonna work. Has enyone tried it yet?

Running Vista 64bit , infact i have the exact same laptop as the other guy said . HP2840SE 4gig ram duel Core 2.0Ghz Nvidia 7150

and it still lags like a bad dream. i lower my Background Res to 512 / 512 and Window mode 800 by 600 , and it makes it playable, But still extreamly laggy in Whitegate and jeuno with 10+ characters in the screen , and thats with weather and shadow and footstep effects all turned off.

i acualy went out and bought it for Xbox360 , but i still perfer my laptop :/

• 2 months later...
Guest passerbyer

Any help you guys can give me I would appreciate it

---

it can be your O.S.

If the software is not designed for 64bit config. multiple problems from graphics to drivers and more.

if all else fails try a older O.S. like win. xp 32. bit.

---