LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Replacement of the m1710 GPU?

Guest ALiz

hi everyone

just wondering if there is even a slight possibility of changing my notebook's GPU(Go 7950 GTX) to an 8-series Go video card, actually the 8800GTX , if possible. I think there are positive signs, pls pls tell me i can. :)

RIG: DELL XPS M1710

Video-card: Go 7950 GTX

hi everyone

just wondering if there is even a slight possibility of changing my notebook's GPU(Go 7950 GTX) to an 8-series Go video card, actually the 8800GTX , if possible. I think there are positive signs, pls pls tell me i can. :)

As far as I know, 7950 GTX is the maximal upgrade for this system. There is now way to place a 8800GTX in that chasis and with that motherboard...

i never said dual cards... :)

i m just hoping somebody comes out with the external GPU solution. ASUS took a major step and it came up with the XG station but dont think it was meant for sale...just a showoff piece or somthing...i really want some solution for upgrading the GPU .... actually i am gona start a new business selling external GPUs :) and ruin the Nvidia Monopoly..serioulsy somebody has to take this step to diminish the Nvidia rule.

Sure there is, let me try and remember this

not.

if you can figure out how to fit the dual 8800 video cards in your 1710 lemme know :P

• 2 months later...
Guest Jackpotman
hi everyone

I've got the XPS M1710 as well...

Dell tells you how to remove the GPU and replace it:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs...o.htm#wp1015612

If the XPS m1710 system is similar (in motherboard and all that) to the XPS m1730, then you should be able to put a 'Single 256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8700m GT', 'Dual 256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8700M GT' or 'DUAL SLI 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTX' in it......

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products...;l=uk&s=dhs

But I don't know if any of them will fit...