LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking HP 8600M GS with the latest drivers from Nvidia

DAz999

Hi, well I have installed Nvidia drivers 169.04, and successfully overclocked with RIVA 2.08.

My question is does anybody know what is in 169.04 drivers which allows overclocking on my device, and if so will someone produce some modded Nvidia drivers to allow the latest version, or better still tell us how we can mod the latest drivers to allow overclocking on HP 8600 GS beyond 169.04?

I have seen the discussion about modding HP BIOS files to overclock perminatly but I don't want to go down that route, cause I want the option to easily switch to standand clock mode when I'm on the road and on battery power.

HP DV9790 4GB RAM 512mb 8600m gs Vista SP1 32bit

Guest Knivez
Hi, well I have installed Nvidia drivers 169.04, and successfully overclocked with RIVA 2.08.

My question is does anybody know what is in 169.04 drivers which allows overclocking on my device, and if so will someone produce some modded Nvidia drivers to allow the latest version, or better still tell us how we can mod the latest drivers to allow overclocking on HP 8600 GS beyond 169.04?

I have seen the discussion about modding HP BIOS files to overclock perminatly but I don't want to go down that route, cause I want the option to easily switch to standand clock mode when I'm on the road and on battery power.

HP DV9790 4GB RAM 512mb 8600m gs Vista SP1 32bit

No, sadly no other method has been discovered to allow software overclock without the 169.04 drivers. BIOS OC is the only way so far, but you shouldnt worry so much about battery power, as the only values you need to edit for gaming are the 3d performance values. When using windows and applications, the video card only utilizes the 2d/ low performance 3d clock modes, so the battery life should remain unchanged.

Ok Thanks done the BIOS mod tto up my Clocks etc :)

Ok Thanks done the BIOS mod tto up my Clocks etc :)

Hi m8, could you pass a link to the thread how to mod your BIOS ? I'm having similar problems... To top it all off, I can only use one type of driver for my card due to the fact that no other one allows me to set 60Hz as the refresh rate. As I play a lot of BF2, it's not to shabby for me to change drivers (the game only runs on 60Hz, my monitor is set to 59, if I dont use the mentioned driver release). I am running Windows XP to make it even more interesting ... and prob, as you know, HP doesnt support XP for our laptops :)

BTW, Could you take a look at your monitor refresh rate and tell me if you can set it to 60 ?

Thx :-)

• 9 months later...