LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem with TV-out, Overlay Secondary Display

Hello guys,

I have the following situation and hope you can help me.

My config is: TOSHIBA Satellite P20, P4 3.2Ghz GeForce FX Go 5200, Windows 2003. I am using drivers 53.03 from nvidia with modified inf from Pieter 11.65 and 11.67(this one i installed today).

Everything is working flawlessly except one problem with TV-Out. I have selected Overlay to be displayed on Seconday Display (TV). When I play some movies the resolution on TV is always 640x480, because of this there is always blank black unused space on the TV (which is capable of display maximum of 800x600). When I stop the film if my desktop resolution is 800x600 or bigger the whole TV screen is used, but in overlay mode it is always at 640x480. My question is how can i set overlay resolution to be 800x600 not 640x480 so i can watch my movies fullscreen on TV.

Imperia,

Have you tried my instructions on my web page for enabling Dual-view.

This way you should be able to get 800x600 on your TV and any desired resolution on your lappy. (simultaniously)

Also try right clicking on the 2nd display (TV) in device properties.

Then advanced, then go down to display resolution, try changing it here to 800x600.

Hope this helps,

I tested the above on my machine, and owrks for my TV.

Pieter.

thanks for you support.

before i had TI4200 i never used dualview, i used only clone.

with clone and overlay (set to secondary display) i can still work on my pc while my sister may watch movie on tv. i do not need to maximize my videoplayer window on pc. it even do not need to be on front. the movie was show 800x600 on tv(FULLSCREEN for TV capabilities - no black border around the picture).

now with the go5200 and the 53.03 drivers everything is the same except that the movie is show on tv at 640x480. there is unused space at the top,bottom,left and right. when i stop the movie (eg. video overlay is not used anymore) the tv switch back to 800x600.

clone option is working perfect except the video overlay. i see my desktop on tv at 800x600(fullscreen for TV) resolution and i need to make some panning to see the whole desktop because the resolution on the pc is 1440x900. so everything is ok. when i start some movie it returns to 640x480. This is what makes me crazy. i want my overlay to be set to 800x600 like the resolution of the tv. i see the desktop at 800x600 on tv, but the movies show up at 640x480.

i can do this "clone on, fullscreen device - none, in videoplayer i set fullscreen resolution to 800x600" then i have fullscreen tv and pc, but that is not what i want.

i hope you get my idea. it was working before this way and it should work now, but how?

Imperia,

Having a play around with WinDVD 5, in here under the Video Tab.

There is a setting for 'Multiple Display Configuration'.

In here click on your desired Clone mode.

Then make sure that Preferred TV out Resolution is set to 'Don't Change'.

With it set to Use best available it goes to 640x480 (on my machine any way)

PowerDVD doesn't have Mulitple Display options so if at all possible get hold of WinDVD 5 (if you already havn't got it)

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

windvd5 - what as s***ty program :)

i have tried:

fullscreen on secondary display - do not work

use best mode - switches my LCD(not tv) to 800x600 :P

do not change - do not work.

i have tried then uninstall - its working :)

i really beleive that registry setting is responsible for the driver overlay resolution. i saw

UseBestResolution

and

HKR,, PAL800x600_0, %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,00,00,07,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,29,00,40,00,69,03,00,00,00,00,00,00

HKR,, "TV Out", %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,00,00

HKR,, PAL640x480_0, %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,00,00,07,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,29,00,34,00,69,03,00,00,00,00,00,00

or this is very interesting....

[OverlayLimit_AddReg]

HKR,, "OverlayLimit.XResolution",%REG_DWORD%,1600

HKR,, "OverlayLimit.YResolution",%REG_DWORD%,1200

HKR,, "OverlayLimit.VRefresh",%REG_DWORD%,0

this too

HKR,, OverlayMode, %REG_BINARY%, 52,00,10,00

HKR,, OverlayMode2, %REG_BINARY%, 52,00,10,00

HKR,, OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%, 52,00,10,00

do you have idea what are these ^^^^^???

i repeat i really beleive its driver setting. what you think?

Imperia,

Now I have had a good play with TV-out and WinDVD 5. (I like WinDVD the most as it has the most settings to play with)

It works just fine for me, the only resolution I get now (53.03) is 800x600.

When setting WinDVD to Full screen on Secondary it happily displays the DVD on the TV (letter boxed, with a small border on the left and right as well)

I can do all the Fullscreen/overlay functions, ie control colour/vibrance/zoom in-out etc.

When plugging in to the bedroom 14" the display is still 800x600 but there are huge borders all round the display (like 640x480) on a 800x600 screen.

Everything still works as it should like on my good 29" TV.

The huge borders are what is called Overscan, cheaper TVs have more overscan (borders)

What I think is happening with your TV you are experiencing overscan.

Try it on another TV and see what happens.

Pieter.

i know what under/over-scan is.

i have said that when i am not watching movie(not using overlay). i mean when i am at desktop(watching icons) in clone mode - everything is alright on the tv. 800x600!!!!!!!!!! FULLSCREEN ON TV!!!!!!!! NO BLACK BORDERS AT ALL!!! And when i start something thru overlay the screen became MUCH SMALLER. And i am sure that this is 640x480!! IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE!!! THIS IS NOT UNDERSCAN CUT!!!! when i start warcraft 3 in 640x480 it is exaclty the same size as the overlay shows the movies. from here i am sure that its 640x480. When i stop the movie i have watched and BOOM, back to fullsize. ARRRGGGHH!!

Have you looked at the above registry settings that i have selected?

Can I assume, you are a trifle upset with this ?

The above settings were used in 1x.xx and 2x.xx Dets, I havn't seen them used since.

Try inserting the below you mentioned earlier in to the [nv_tweak] section. Chances are they arn't going to work, but one won't know until one tries.

HKR,, PAL800x600_0, %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,00,00,07,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,29,00,40,00,69,03,00,00,00,00,00,00

HKR,, "TV Out", %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,00,00  

HKR,, PAL640x480_0, %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,00,00,07,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,29,00,34,00,69,03,00,00,00,00,00,00

have a play with this as well, place in same section :

The other settings just limit the overlay size, try as well if your desperate.

I would play with them my self, but TV-out works just dandy on my machine, except for the huge overscan on my crappy 14" TV

In one of my earlier Questions, did you have a look in the Change resolutions tab (near bottom of Display properties tabs).

When right clicking on display 2 then properties then GPU then change Resolutions.

Here you can change the TV resolution from 400x300 up to 800x600, check wether it's 800x600 here.

If you have already done this 1000 times I apologise.

Does Quake play in 800x600 mode correctly ?

Pieter.

yes you are right "trifle upset" because my tv-out always worked with nvdia cards. no problem at all. but not this s***ty problem.

i have change resolution to the second display but it is set to 800x600 i see my desktop on tv 800x600. there is no need to change it.

quake and all games set to 800x600 display PERFECT on TV. I do not even have under/over-scan. but when i start movie thru OVERLAY it downgrades the mode to 640x480. even if the movie have some big resolution like 800x600 it is show at 640x480.

i do not have idea what to change here:

I fixed it!!! I was sure that this was some setting.

History today:

I tried to install 44.03 to play doom3. Didn't succeded - blue screen on my 2003.

Then i go to safe mode and uninstalled the driver.

When i restarted next time i installed 53.03 with 11.67 inf mod.

After this restart came the problem with the "BLACK SCREEN" that all people are talking about. I figured out what is causing this problem. I hope that maybe you will fix it so everybody will be OK now. The problem is cause by the driver thinking that the analog display is FIRST DEVICE! I attached my old 14" vga. This doesn't help me much tho. I enter blindly in windows typing my password. The screen the showed up because laptop is designed to work by default in dualview Digitial Display Analog. The i noticed that my LCD is 2 not 1 display. What i did is: Expand desktop to secondary display, then use primary on my LCD. Then removed expand desktop on Analog. Then i turned off dualview. And BINGO my LCD is now 1 and everything is ok. Now I decided to see how CLONE is working on my TV. I started some movie and BINGO AGAIN - the movie is FULLSCREEN 800x600 not 640x480 like before. I was sure that it is driver setting causing it. too bad i haved backed up my old nvidia settings to compare but i do not really care now :)

Congrats on solving it... Nice detective work!

I wonder...

NvCplDualViewAllowNonDFPAsPrimary, %REG_DWORD%, 1

Maybe should be 0 in your case?

i think so, because when new installing the driver select analog display as first.

BTW too early to celebrate. without to touch anything my overlay size is now again 640x480. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I only ran warcraft III once.

video overlay is part of

1. driver?

2. directx?

3. windows?

maybe the games alter these settings?

also can i safely delete all NVTweak settings and see what will happend?

i tried both to fix the inf about the black screen:

AllowNonDFPAsPrimary

NvCplDualViewAllowNonDFPAsPrimary

both DO NOT WORK to enable DFP as primary in 11.67 inf mod.

in fact

AllowNonDFPAsPrimary, %REG_DWORD%, 0

is working but the windows logon screen still remain blank

then you have to logon blindly and then display will apear.

this time LCD is 1 not 2 like before. this is the only good. but the problem remains because the logon screen is not present (screen is totally black)

---------------

next about my problem:

i made backup copies of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARENVIDIA Corporation

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesnv

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}000

before the problem with 640x480 overlay occurs.

then i even found what is causing it.

Its "Device adjustments" which you can open when right-clicking on TV monitor on NView settings. If I change something here and press OK - mine problem is here again. The overlay is 640x480. I deleted the above sections of registry(not just replace them) then i applied my backup copies and my problem was not solved. so the settings for overlay are not kept in these registry section above. i am starting to think that they are some windows settings(directx or overlay mixer settings) not related to nvidia driver or i am missing some places that nvidia keep setting stored(correct me if so). last time i caused 640x480 overlay by moving "FLICKER" slider in "Device adjustments". this time i opened "Device adjustments" and immediatly pressed "Cancel". Sorry if this is the problem i do not have nerves right now to experiment anymore. No more "Device adjustments" for me.

What you think? what can cause this all mess?

It's rare, but some laptops allow you to set the default output device in the BIOS settings. That might be worth checking for.

Regardless of the ultimate fix, you should be able to get around the black signon screen. There should be a key combination (probably a Fn key) that forces the output to either or both screens. You should be able to use that to activate your LCD. It's also a good way to activate your TV output when you need to, instead of staying in dual-view all the time.

It's rare, but some laptops allow you to set the default output device in the BIOS settings. That might be worth checking for.
I think i have it but it is set to Both. I am not sure tho.
Regardless of the ultimate fix, you should be able to get around the black signon screen. There should be a key combination (probably a Fn key) that forces the output to either or both screens. You should be able to use that to activate your LCD. It's also a good way to activate your TV output when you need to, instead of staying in dual-view all the time..

Fn F5? but this is not for tv-out i think it for lcd and analog.

i have seperate key for tv-out but it is not working i think becuase i have not installed toshiba's e-key software.

i do not use dual-view. only clone overlay on secondary

the other problem with overlay is more strange for me. at STILL unsolved.

Also have a play with this beta INF everything not essential has been disabled.

Pieter.

To Pieter:

I think these problems does not apply to me.

I do not want driver without extras :) because now EVERYTHING is working perfectly if i do not touch "Device adjustments" screen. Last night i tested it by watching "GOTHIKA" movie. BTW This is nice thriller/mystery movie. I hardly recommend it.

To Guest:

It is not player problem.

I am using Crystal Player or Zoom Player, but i have test Media Player and BSPlayer. In different modes: overlay 1,2 and etc. VMR9 which has some bugs.