LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Gears of War driver issue

DragonXD

Hello

I am sure that u guys have heard this issue many times before, so I will do it shortly. I can´t play Gears of War. When it run it says :

To run Gears of War with your current hardware setup, you must install the following software update or updates:

+ NVIDIA ForceWare 163.44 Driver

If you do not install this software, at some point the game will stop and your progress will be lost.

Since I can´t find anything that will work with my current drivers, I figured that you mayby could help me out? :) This is my specs :

post-24348-1210106643_thumb.gif

Guest glitches of war

it took me 3 months to get gears to run on my NEW asus f3 series 3gig ram geforce 8600m gs vista 32 premium.

you didnt mention if the game ran after that point.

I think you can click a check box to ignore the message on start up.

the host from electric playground a game review tv show tried running gears for windows on 3 pc boxes

he eventually got it running on a macbook with duel xp boot. and he reviewed it on a mac..

its a Microsoft xbox game ported to the Microsoft windows operating system..

they do have an gears forum over at epic but they dont list a "Troubleshooting & Technology" forum like they do with their other games.

but there are some threads that will help http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/

i think you have to update to directx 10, and you really must get rid of all previous directx installations befor you install.

you may also need copy and create a gears shortcut on your desktop

and point it to the gears startup.exe located in the gears binaries folder in the directory that you installed to.

if it actually installed a shortcut for you, you may need to edit it

if you want to use the editor you must check the check box to install it when your doing your first install

and then make a shortcut from the gears startup.exe in the binary folder and then edit its target too

"startup.exe Editor"

as far as drivers, asus is way behind in their driver updates, and the official driver installer from nvidia will not work on my laptop...

I dont actually remember how I got it to work. lol

i think I still get that message, but try adjusting the settings, lower them down but not too low, you may find a sweet spot where

it doesn't crash.

if you get past the part where the prison door opens and you can choose either training or go straight into the mission,

then you should be ok.

if it crashes there

then somethings wrong and some trial and error with the settings might work eventually.

good luck

if you cant get it to work be sure and take it back, and get orange box, much better game ;-)

it took me 3 months to get gears to run on my NEW asus f3 series 3gig ram geforce 8600m gs vista 32 premium.

you didnt mention if the game ran after that point.

I think you can click a check box to ignore the message on start up.

the host from electric playground a game review tv show tried running gears for windows on 3 pc boxes

he eventually got it running on a macbook with duel xp boot. and he reviewed it on a mac..

its a Microsoft xbox game ported to the Microsoft windows operating system..

they do have an gears forum over at epic but they dont list a "Troubleshooting & Technology" forum like they do with their other games.

but there are some threads that will help http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/

i think you have to update to directx 10, and you really must get rid of all previous directx installations befor you install.

you may also need copy and create a gears shortcut on your desktop

and point it to the gears startup.exe located in the gears binaries folder in the directory that you installed to.

if it actually installed a shortcut for you, you may need to edit it

if you want to use the editor you must check the check box to install it when your doing your first install

and then make a shortcut from the gears startup.exe in the binary folder and then edit its target too

"startup.exe Editor"

as far as drivers, asus is way behind in their driver updates, and the official driver installer from nvidia will not work on my laptop...

I dont actually remember how I got it to work. lol

i think I still get that message, but try adjusting the settings, lower them down but not too low, you may find a sweet spot where

it doesn't crash.

if you get past the part where the prison door opens and you can choose either training or go straight into the mission,

then you should be ok.

if it crashes there

then somethings wrong and some trial and error with the settings might work eventually.

good luck

if you cant get it to work be sure and take it back, and get orange box, much better game ;-)

If you check the box to ignore the message the game will crash after about 5-10 sek in the menu :/ Okay, great respons, I will look arond on that link.

Are there someone who actually can tell me exactly what to do, to make this game work, because I don´t wanna waste my time updating things people "think" will work and I´m kindda slow on a computer :) Thanks

Edited by DragonXD

If you check the box to ignore the message the game will crash after about 5-10 sek in the menu :/ Okay, great respons, I will look arond on that link.

Are there someone who actually can tell me exactly what to do, to make this game work, because I don´t wanna waste my time updating things people "think" will work :) Thanks

just update your driver to 175.16 using the modded inf to install

just update your driver to 175.16 using the modded inf to install

I can´t install the 175.16. It say´s that it can´t work with my current drivers. But this is where the modded inf can help or what? Dunno what that is? :) - please tell how to use that thang? :)

Besides, should I uninstall the current driver before installing another one? Could that be the problem? How do I uninstall the current driver? ;D

Edited by DragonXD

all the answers are found in my sig.

and it owuld be wise to unistall a driver before you install a new one

all the answers are found in my sig.

and it owuld be wise to unistall a driver before you install a new one

oh - thanks :) Problem is that the 175.16 driver only supports Vista x86, Vista x64, WinXP x86 and WinXP x64 as far as I can see on laptopvideo2go, and I have Vista 32 bit. On Nvidia´s website, I can only pick the 7 and 8 series, and the product type GeForce M/Go and my card is a GeForce 8600M "GT" - so? Well, and I can´t just chose the 7 or 8 series right?...hummm?!

Edited by DragonXD