LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver installation issue nVidida 8600M GTS

captpwnage

Hello all, I purchased a Gateway P-6860FX today with an nVidia Geforce 8600M GTS and I tried to install several different drivers including the 175.63, 175.14, and 175.16 and I follow the instructions precisely and use the modded inf and I get a message that Windows encountered a problem while installing the drivers. I have Vista Home Premium 64-bit and did download the Vista 64-bit drivers. Any suggestions?

right to keep it simple.

windows vista 64 bit do not allow unsigned drivers to be install.

to get around this, unistall your nvidia driver now.

upon reboot tap F8 to get to advance boot options and choose 'disable driver enforcement'

now install your driver :)

right to keep it simple.

windows vista 64 bit do not allow unsigned drivers to be install.

to get around this, unistall your nvidia driver now.

upon reboot tap F8 to get to advance boot options and choose 'disable driver enforcement'

now install your driver :)

I tried what you suggested, I uninstalled my driver and rebooted then hit F8 at bootup and disabled driver enforcement. I then installed the newest version 175.70 using the modified INF file. I right-clicked the standard vga adapter, updated driver, chose my own location, told it to install anyway after it warned me it was an unsigned driver and then I received a window saying that Windows was unable to install the driver or something like that. Below it had the name of my video chipset nVidia GeForce 8800M GTS. I had no choice but to install the drivers that came with my laptop. Any other suggestions?

Guest DirtySanchiez

I have the same machine as the original poster, and am having the exact same issue. I've went through the proper 'have disk' method; which results in "The system cannot find the specified file" or "The selected driver for the device does not support Windows Vista" Which just leaves me scratching my head. Method two makes no sense to me, no idea what file I'm supposed to "sign".

I admit I'm new to Vista 64 bit, but by all accounts I've jumped through the hoops properly while trying to load new drivers based on what I've read. It doesn't make much of a difference NOW. The games I do play, play beautifully with the factory 167 series drivers .. however what happens a few months to a year from now when I need a specific fix or workaround found only in a newer driver? I sure hope Microsoft decides to lighten up on this crap, this type of hard-nosed enforcement doesn't belong in a consumer grade operating system.

No dice on method 2 either. Here is a screenshot of what I get every time I try to install ANY of the drivers provided on laptopvideo2go.

9i8vb8.jpg