LaptopVideo2Go Forums

NVIDIA control panel incorrectly lists directx 8.1?

jorune

Hey all-

I have the latest forceware installed 175.70. The nvidia control panel screen seems to list wrong info. It says the operating system is Longhorn (service pack 1). I know Vista was originally called Longhorn, but...

...I notice for DirectX it lists DirectX 8.1 and not DX 10 (which is what dxdiag tells me I am running).

It goes on to list that the bios is unavailable and that "Video: 0"

So I am tempted to just ignore what I'm seeing, but I am wondering if the nvidia control panel is forcing my card to use directx 8.1?? I run company of heroes and World in Conflict in DX 10 mode, so I'm thinking thats not the case. But I have seen other nvidia control panel pics online stating "DirectX 9 or greater" as their listing.

Jorune

Inspiron 1520

nVidia 8600 GT 256mb

Vista Home Premium

2.5 GB Ram

160 hard drive

what vdeo card do you have? DX10 and good frame rates are almost impossible.. you'd get about 8fps on company of heroes test. and thats using a series 8 card. upper midrange.. 8600 8800 etc.

download dxwebsetup.exe from microsoft to update your DX

remember if your are using a gforce7 series or earler then it can not run DX10

"so nvidia says"

my experience says it can.. but crashes are v. frequent

Guest luis

i dont think that's the case, he has vista so he does have directx 10, there a problem with the nvidia control panel...

try installing ntune and check if that fixes the control panel

thats one of the problems of using leaked betas, lil bugs are present

i dont think that's the case, he has vista so he does have directx 10, there a problem with the nvidia control panel...

try installing ntune and check if that fixes the control panel

I noticed that the 8600 card isn't 'officially' supported by those drivers. So I rolled back to 175.12 which does and the info is now corrected.

I also noted that the nvidia control panel itself is different. It is now full screen and gives more more options (more control) for how I use the gfx card. The 'newer' driver was a small control panel and less options.

Jorune