LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Planning to upgrade laptop GPU

SymphonyX

Hey everyone, I'm planning to upgrade my laptop (a Uniwill 259EN) with a Geforce Go 6600 256 MB hopefully to a Geforce Go 7600 or MR X1600.

Here's the thing. When I checked out the Uniwill 259EN 6600 to 7600 upgrade guide and the other upgrade guides, I noticed that you don't just switch the main chip (as in that square die in the middle of the card), you actually have to switch the whole card including the chip in the middle. I'm going to buy either a GF Go 7600 or MR X1600, the problem, it looks like it's only the main chip in the middle without the card. Well, I already checked my laptop and saw the GF Go 6600 for myself and saw the chip in the middle. Can I just take out that GF Go 6600 chip in the middle and replace it with a 7600/X1600 chip indefinitely keeping the same card?

Anyway, here are the links to the GF Go 7600 and MR X1600 I was talking about. They also have actual pictures of the chips.

Geforce Go 7600

MR X1600