LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Riva and Powerstrip won't OC Go 7600

undertoad

Hi

I'm trying to OC my laptop's Go 7600. Factory core/mem settings are 350/400 MHz.

Both Rivatuner and Powerstrip just refuse to save my OC settings. I adjust upwards by 10-15MHz, save the profile; when I go back to the profile, there are the factory settings! I also set up my "overclocked" profile as a Riva taskbar menu item. Clicked on it, and the core/mem speeds Riva displays in the taskbar just stay the same.

Does this just mean that RIva and Powerstrip can't OC my card? (If this is the case, would be nice if they said so explicitly....)

1. Could this be a driver issue? I'm on 158.22, which performs nicely (3350 3DMark05), but of course I want more...

2. If it's the driver, can anyone recommend a good driver for Go 7600 which will allow OC'ing?

3. The alternative is Nibitor (Coolbits just won't work for me - doesn't show OC settings in Nvidia settings). I'm scared. If you screw up in Nibitor, on a laptop, what do you do? You can't slot in a spare graphics card - and how would you flash back to the old BIOS (which of course, you saved beforehand), when your screen doesn't work? I only want to change the 3D core and mem settings upwards by a conservative 15MHz, nothing clever or advanced. None of the Nibitor docs or guides explain what your emergency parachure might be on a laptop.

thanks

Seb

Hi

I'm trying to OC my laptop's Go 7600. Factory core/mem settings are 350/400 MHz.

Both Rivatuner and Powerstrip just refuse to save my OC settings. I adjust upwards by 10-15MHz, save the profile; when I go back to the profile, there are the factory settings! I also set up my "overclocked" profile as a Riva taskbar menu item. Clicked on it, and the core/mem speeds Riva displays in the taskbar just stay the same.

Does this just mean that RIva and Powerstrip can't OC my card? (If this is the case, would be nice if they said so explicitly....)

1. Could this be a driver issue? I'm on 158.22, which performs nicely (3350 3DMark05), but of course I want more...

2. If it's the driver, can anyone recommend a good driver for Go 7600 which will allow OC'ing?

3. The alternative is Nibitor (Coolbits just won't work for me - doesn't show OC settings in Nvidia settings). I'm scared. If you screw up in Nibitor, on a laptop, what do you do? You can't slot in a spare graphics card - and how would you flash back to the old BIOS (which of course, you saved beforehand), when your screen doesn't work? I only want to change the 3D core and mem settings upwards by a conservative 15MHz, nothing clever or advanced. None of the Nibitor docs or guides explain what your emergency parachure might be on a laptop.

thanks

Seb

You would want to change it by 30 mhz to see a difference. 15 wont even change it by a frame /sec.

Try a driver like 174.74 or even 177.26 (new out yesterday) [new drivers will also increase the performance of your card]

Remember to download the modified INF file, extract the driver, then place the modified inf into the foler, replacing the existing one.

1) overclocking; make sure its pluged into the wall. Running on battery wont overclock the card.

2) BEFORE you install new drivers, uninstall the current one. go back to VGA, then boot into safe mode run an app called driver sweep. then reboot. (normal mode) then run th new driver setup.

Thats it.

You would want to change it by 30 mhz to see a difference. 15 wont even change it by a frame /sec.

Just being careful. 1st-time overclocker :)

Try a driver like 174.74 or even 177.26 (new out yesterday) [new drivers will also increase the performance of your card]

Those are Vista drivers as far as I can tell - sorry, probably not clear I'm on XP SP3 32bit. I'll have to try one of those. Are the later drivers generally easier to overclock? I don't want to go the Nibitor route :) :P if I can help it.

1) overclocking; make sure its pluged into the wall. Running on battery wont overclock the card.

Oh yep! And the amount of problems that Powermizer has caused me (that downclocking problem I think you helped me out with). Claims it only downclocks when on battery; yeah, right.

I use DriverCleaner between installs/uninstalls.

Is this Riva/Powerstrip thing - flipping back to factory default - just an (unclear) indication that this driver doesn't allow OC-ing?

thanks again for your help!

There are XP versions of the driver as well. 158.45 is probably the best oc driver for XP. Hope this helps!

Just an afterthought. Be careful not to oc too much. Many first time overclockers set the sliders straight up and destroy their expensive GPU! If you don't know what you are doing, it is best not to oc by much (50-60mhz is reasonable.)

There are XP versions of the driver as well. 158.45 is probably the best oc driver for XP. Hope this helps!

Just an afterthought. Be careful not to oc too much. Many first time overclockers set the sliders straight up and destroy their expensive GPU! If you don't know what you are doing, it is best not to oc by much (50-60mhz is reasonable.)

Thanks Andrew.

158.45 seems to be a Vista driver. Do you mean 158.51? Got to say I'm a bit confused by the organisation of nVidia drivers - why are some of them classified into "desktop" and "notebook" sections? Or is that a classification added by folks on this site, according to what works best with what?

If I ever can get OCing to work, I'm going to be ultra-conservative - 5-10MHz at a time with Company of Heroes test/temperature logging at each stage.

cheers

Seb

• 3 weeks later...

i highly suggest you right down every step you take in flashing your bios. also take note of the time between steps. incase you can't see the screen if things go awry, you can flash it back blind. i had a similar situation, blew out the GPU had to set up a mock flash on my friend's nvidia card-based pc copy the steps then do mine blind. dell never got the chance to find out :whew:

good luck... just don't go too high thats all. run MANY stability checks for hours. difference in results between a safe OC, a risky OC and a fatal OC is not much, play it safe than sorry

Personally, I find that the 175s and 177s perform better, overclocked or not. That's just me, though.

Thanks Andrew.

158.45 seems to be a Vista driver. Do you mean 158.51? Got to say I'm a bit confused by the organisation of nVidia drivers - why are some of them classified into "desktop" and "notebook" sections? Or is that a classification added by folks on this site, according to what works best with what?

If I ever can get OCing to work, I'm going to be ultra-conservative - 5-10MHz at a time with Company of Heroes test/temperature logging at each stage.

cheers

Seb

Sorry about that. I could have sworn there were xp versions of the driver. After some testing on my friend's xp laptop I could probably recommend the 177.41 drivers. Good luck.

PS:I was able to oc on these drivers but you might not.

Edited by Andrew55