LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DELL XPS 1530

boon

hello...

actually, i read many article to find information to upgrade my laptop XPS 1530 from 8600GT 256DDR3 to more powerful GPU. However, i cannot really find out whether in can be upgraded. So, at here, i need some realiable information about it. Is it anyone succed to upgrade to 8600GT in XPS 1530 to more powerful GPU? Is it my computer have MXM slot? I know some people can open their laptop but i afraid to do so. If anyone can upgrade the GPU, what type of GPU they upgrade to?

thank in advance and sorry for my poor english.

It all comes down to a matter of space. I doubt an 8700m gt will fit in that slot. But I could be wrong. Your computer, I'm pretty sure does have an mxm slot. Good luck!

thank for your reply.

now i know my laptop have MXM slot, but what type of GPU is suitable?Nvidia 9600 GS/GT?

Depends on how much you're willing to spend. The 9600 gt is obviously not a hell of a lot better than what you have now. If you are willing to spend that much for a slight (but noticeable) increase, then by all means do so. I, however would be looking at an 8700m gt for the least.

Depends on how much you're willing to spend. The 9600 gt is obviously not a hell of a lot better than what you have now. If you are willing to spend that much for a slight (but noticeable) increase, then by all means do so. I, however would be looking at an 8700m gt for the least.

thank,

so u mean 8700GT is more powerful than 9600GT?where can i find the card for upgrade?website?

The 8700gt is noticeably faster! In terms of finding the card, that's where I can offer very little assistance. I know ebay sells and there are some other websites which sell the mxm cards. Use google, you're sure to find some sites that sell cards to gamers like you! Just be careful who you're buying from! Some sites needless to say will take your money and leave you with nothing.

Hey boon, i'm searching for the same. 8700M GT on XPS M1530.

Why ?

Because 8700M GT Non-Oc have same performance than a 8600M GT Overclocked with 512MB Ram DDRIII.

So...

Imagine a 8700M GT Overclocked... We need to find a way to put a 8700M GT on an XPS M1530.

If you find anything, contact me !

Hey boon, i'm searching for the same. 8700M GT on XPS M1530.

Why ?

Because 8700M GT Non-Oc have same performance than a 8600M GT Overclocked with 512MB Ram DDRIII.

So...

Imagine a 8700M GT Overclocked... We need to find a way to put a 8700M GT on an XPS M1530.

If you find anything, contact me !

GUY'S... we are all out of luck. the XPS 1530 has its card soldered on. 8600GT is the top of the line GPU for our system. If you wanted to be able to upgrade your card in a laptop you shold have gone for Dell's alienware line. So basically what you have got is it.

Damn... don't want to buy another laptop...

GUY'S... we are all out of luck. the XPS 1530 has its card soldered on. 8600GT is the top of the line GPU for our system. If you wanted to be able to upgrade your card in a laptop you shold have gone for Dell's alienware line. So basically what you have got is it.

what?the card is soldered?are you comfirmed?but andrew55 say that he sure it is MXM slot.

what?the card is soldered?are you comfirmed?but andrew55 say that he sure it is MXM slot.

I allready opened my XPS and the card isn't soldered... I'm almost sure !

Sorry for the wrong info that I gave you. I was pretty sure that your laptop had an mxm slot. I did some research after wook's insightful post and I found this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=3405100. Sorry that you cannot upgrade your card. However, the 8600m gt is not a bad card either. I have however seen the 8600m gt removed on another system that used the card. I believe it was an Acer laptop. I guess Dell just wants you to come running back to them whenever you want to play a demanding game. Sorry once again for getting your hopes up.

Regards.

Edited by Andrew55

huh...so the xps 1530 has MXM slot.Hmm...thank.

That's what I thought. Well this situation is getting rather confusing!

All I know is that Dell have a habit of using "Modules" for card swaps, not MXM.

All I know is that Dell have a habit of using "Modules" for card swaps, not MXM.

I'd love if someone has melted the solder joins (under side of the card) but i don't think thats going to happen. actually im 99.9% it wont.

Like everyone else, i have already opened it up, had a sift around. But i have ripped out the old fan (piece of CRAP!!) and shoved in an Ice cooling fan, (6 0c cooler) so can basically overclock it to a 8700. [but i've got a pretty stressed out card]

I would'nt recomend this as its only 6 FPS higher then the facctory, and i almost made the card a piece of toast... litterally!

NB: use high quality 'artic silver 5' thermal paste if u are going to do this

Edited by wook

Guest Guest
I'd love if someone has melted the solder joins (under side of the card) but i don't think thats going to happen. actually im 99.9% it wont.

Like everyone else, i have already opened it up, had a sift around. But i have ripped out the old fan (piece of CRAP!!) and shoved in an Ice cooling fan, (6 0c cooler) so can basically overclock it to a 8700. [but i've got a pretty stressed out card]

I would'nt recomend this as its only 6 FPS higher then the facctory, and i almost made the card a piece of toast... litterally!

NB: use high quality 'artic silver 5' thermal paste if u are going to do this

thank for your info...

i see...

can we change the fan in the laptop... and what type of fan u changed?and is it artic silver 5 really help the XPS 1530 to cool down?the grease for our laptop is not effective?

Guest fabarati

Yeah, The XPS m1530 DOESN'T have an MXM card. No Dells do. Even if it's removable (it most likely is), you can only upgrade to the highest card that Dell offers for that line. So if you have a 8400m GS you can upgrade to a DELL XPS m1530 8600m GT card, which you can get from ebay or Dell themselves. The highest available card is 8600m GT.

Yeah, The XPS m1530 DOESN'T have an MXM card. No Dells do. Even if it's removable (it most likely is), you can only upgrade to the highest card that Dell offers for that line. So if you have a 8400m GS you can upgrade to a DELL XPS m1530 8600m GT card, which you can get from ebay or Dell themselves. The highest available card is 8600m GT.

:) I guess that is the definitive answer!

thank for your info...

i see...

can we change the fan in the laptop... and what type of fan u changed?and is it artic silver 5 really help the XPS 1530 to cool down?the grease for our laptop is not effective?

I don't know if its better, i read thats it was. So taking them at their work. But there was hardly any paste when i removed the fan. So i used a lot. probably too much, but its working fine.

You can change the fan, but it wont be under warantee. Im not to worried, as i can fix it when it breaks.

• 3 months later...

hi i got the same xps but with a nvidia m8400gs was wondering if someone could guide to a secure website where i can actually buy the m8600gt and if its swappable can i do it on my own i am also considering a faster proccessor than the t5550 that got shipped with it...............