LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Latest Diver not working with WinXP ?

mobilenvidia

My Wifes Dell Latitude D820 Hard Drive decided to pack a wee sad :)

Bought a new Seagate 320GB HD to put in my machine and give the D820 my old 120GB

Now while setting up the D820 and wanting to test rumours of the latest 175's not working with WinXP (can't start driver error (Code10))

I tried both 175.80 and 177.26 and neither work with modded or original INF

This leads me to conclude that the driver might be blocking GPU's from the driver starting.

Are you guys able to report back here with your findings.

I need to know especially if you are able to get these drivers to work and how you dd it.

By all means also report back if your not having any luck with getting these to work.

Lastly I need to know which driver last worked.

Any help you provide will help in finding a possible fix for this.

Although these 175's are most like setup for the very latest upcoming GPU's being tested by OEM's (ie GX280)

I'll setup a WinXP partition on this rather zippy new HD and can do some testing without frowns from the Mrs :)

[uPDATE]

Having installed WinXP SP3 on my i9400, I tried to install 177.26 and had no issues at all.

Then forced some other GPU installs and still no problem.

When I got to the 8x00 and 9x00 GPU's install issues arose (as some have noticed)

I've fixed (hopefully the 8x00+ install problems in INF v3.259a (only for 177.26)

Now back to the Dell Latitude D820 and it's Quadro NVS120M this still refused to install and nothing would let it install, not even an OEM INF.

It looks like some GPU's are locked from latter driver updates.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or just a driver bug.

So if you find your self in this predicament you will not be alone.

I ended up going to Dell website and grabbing 156.83 which installs and works just fine.

Both drivers work fine with WinXP SP3 and my Dell XPS M1730!

Only problem is: SLI doesn't work with 175.80, reinstalled it kinda 100 times, still no chance to get SLI workin'!

Or to be correct, SLI is "on", but FPS is still the same IN EVERY GAME/BENCHMARK

177.26 works fine :)

Hi Pieter,

I was able to install the 177.26 on my desktop computer with an 8800GT and XP SP3. I just used the .inf from the official 175.16 on nvidia's website.

For some reason your infs have not worked on my desktop PC for quite some time. :) The driver install finishes quickly but nothing installed.

Seems to work great on my lappy though.

Been using 175.70 for more than a month now without any problems :)

Hi Pieter,

I was able to install the 177.26 on my desktop computer with an 8800GT and XP SP3. I just used the .inf from the official 175.16 on nvidia's website.

For some reason your infs have not worked on my desktop PC for quite some time. :) The driver install finishes quickly but nothing installed.

Seems to work great on my lappy though.

I couldn't get 177.26 to work at all even with the original INF.

I'll get onto a XP install tonight and get testin.

So good having all this room to do this kind of stuff :)

Guest Guest

couldn't get either to work on xp pro x86 w/sp3

went back to version 175.80

bear in mind that i use rivatuner to trick the machine into thinking my 8600gt is a gts - which sometimes circumvents the usage of the modded inf. btw, i did try using the infs but always got stuck with the standard vga driver, wanting to update itself only to another version of the vga driver or nothing

also, i have the 8600 stuttering issues

the only way i can quash that is by tweaking the render frames ahead setting to just 1 instead of 3. also, setting the performance mode to single display rather than multiple seems to help a tad. wish they'd fess up as to why this prob occurs :o(

also, even with a total clean, my control panel freezes up if i try to access the detailed 3d settings. i can, however, access them via rivatuner (2.09) [???] several driver releases have exhibited this issue and all seem to contain the same [old, not updated] version of the control panel[???]