LaptopVideo2Go Forums

WoW hates my 8800m GTS vid card!

Hjefflee

so i feel like i'm just repeating what seems to be a very common problem with the 8000 line geforce card's compatibility with thrice damned windows vista.

here's how it goes down:

I buy a brand spanking new gateway laptop, after reading countless forums gushing over it's gaming proficiency. i dont know how many times i read quotes like "i can run WoW on this thing with maxed out settings, and it's smooth like b u t t e r".

As an avid WoW fan, and a first time laptop buyer, how could i resist a deal as sweet sounding as that?

I bring it home, load up WoW on it, max out the settings, big boyish grin on my face...

only to have it wiped right off my face as i get the good ol' BSOD 30 seconds in. It says there's an issue with my vid card driver, then reboots me. this is followed by a "nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message.

i spend the next 10 hours trying everything possible, from reinstalling my 64bit vista, updating everything possible (there aren't any driver updates for the 8800m GTS on the nvidia site at all), and reading countless forum posts to find a solution.

i tried messing around with the vid card settings, the in game vid settings, still got the BSOD.

i'm positive its not an overheating or power issue.

i tried dling a bunch of the latest drivers off this site, but still get the BSOD.

i honestly have no idea what the problem could be, be it a damaged vid card, me not finding a compatible driver, or just having a lemon comp.

I mean, with all that juicy feedback on gateway's site specifically for this comp, i feel like i might be an exception.

ANY input on this, reasons why i can't play WoW, possible solutions, anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

thrice damned windows vista.

You can say that again!

Have you tried the latest 177.35 driver? It may not fix your problem, but it is worth a shot.

i tried the 177.35, but when i sub the inf and follow all the instructions, i get a "The driver selected for this device does not support Windows Vista."

i think i'm doing it correctly:

step 1 - dl both the driver and moded inf to my desktop.

step 2 - copy and overwrite the inf into the driver file.

step 3 - go to my device manager, go to my nvidia properties, update driver option.

step 4 - browse comp for driver software, manually pick the file off my desktop, choose 'have disk'.

step 5 - browse for the inf in my dled driver file, click install

I will give whoever can solve this problem for me..... one million dollars.

worth of WoW gold

I will give whoever can solve this problem for me..... one million dollars.

worth of WoW gold

Please transfer the gold ASAP to ULDAMAN server!

I had to install Vista 32 bit !!! (64 bit.. youre just asking for trouble when theres already known issues)

1. reinstall factory CD and get that crap windows vista home

2. UPGRADE from your CD to vista (ultimate 32 bit in my case)

3. use factory driver first and test this for 1 day

Now I do get driver errors but NOW they do not BSOD... now I only get a slight GFX lag... luckily never when im lock-tanking leo, but it just freezes for about 2 seconds then back to normal... looking at your desktop you still see the driver error but youre still in game...

it sux... but thats the best I got so far.... so send only 1/2 million.

answer:

get rid of vista 64 .. use 32.

sorry, cant give you that half mil just yet....

installed 32bit vista home premium (maybe ultimate would work?), and still got the BSOD. same "nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message.

raising the reward to 2 mil lol

Guest Dianaz28
sorry, cant give you that half mil just yet....

installed 32bit vista home premium (maybe ultimate would work?), and still got the BSOD. same "nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message.

raising the reward to 2 mil lol

I was having the same issue and i downloaded driver 175.70 for vista 32 and so far so good played around for a couple hours last night No BSOD. Hope this helps.

downloaded that driver, still didn't work.

out of curiosity, i installed a whole range of games on my comp as well:

1. Crysis demo - got 'nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered'

2. Doom 3 - got 'nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered'

3. Warcraft 3 - 'nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered'

4. Alpha Centauri - a 15 year old game which was that ONLY thing that worked. It has practically NO graphics requirements.

5. Even downloaded an HD movie trailer, tried to watch it and got the 'nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered' msg.

basically, i can't do s*** with my comp except play games from my elementary school years. so, so sad.

I'm thinking my video card might be defective, because it should not be so incompatible with so many things.

Guest dianaz28

That is possible since I have the exact same computer and I am not having those problems. I have world of warcraft loaded and can play it in max settings and easily get 60 fps with no errors. I would take it back where I purchased it and have them exchange it. See if that fixes the error.

To be honest with you i highly doubt there is any need for you to reinstall vista. Don't use the 175 series. Use 174.74. This SHOULD fix your problem. In terms of that nvlddmkm driver problem, it happens when a driver anomaly occurs and forces the card to stop responding. The 174.74 drivers should work. The key to resolving your problem, keep trying with different drivers till you get through. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

hey mate i think you should have a nice talk with gateway to try sort out this problem, i did that with hp when i downgraded to windows xp x64bit (very tricky business, i then dled windows vista 32bit and installed that) they gave me loasd of information that helped me install the drivers for a operating system that was going to be deleted in 6 hours so its all good... :) :) i would do anything to have ur graphics card, mine sux i cant play crysis very high, BUT my m8 has this card and he pwned WoW'S graphics to the outdated MMO it was