LaptopVideo2Go Forums

windows still crashes after fresh install

Mclovin

ok guys my friends comp was acting up so we decided to reformat it. I have installed windows on it trying both the disks that came with the computer and my own copy of windows xp which i use on all my comps. once it finishes installing windows it will boot windows. but once i restart windows it just gets to the windows loading screen stays there for about 2 mins then the screen goes black and does nothing else. if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction that would be great thanks. oh and i cannot boot it in safe mode or anything. im thinking it could be a bad hard drive but i dunno

Specs(i think)

1.8ghz amd sempron

ati xpress card (not sure which one)

1gb ram

and not sure of the hard drive size.

Edited by Mclovin

Guest illmatic
ok guys my friends comp was acting up so we decided to reformat it. I have installed windows on it trying both the disks that came with the computer and my own copy of windows xp which i use on all my comps. once it finishes installing windows it will boot windows. but once i restart windows it just gets to the windows loading screen stays there for about 2 mins then the screen goes black and does nothing else. if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction that would be great thanks. oh and i cannot boot it in safe mode or anything. im thinking it could be a bad hard drive but i dunno

Specs(i think)

1.8ghz amd sempron

ati xpress card (not sure which one)

1gb ram

and not sure of the hard drive size.

I personally think it's the RAM, I'd look into that. Replace the stick with another one and see if same problem occurs.

Guest Guest

thanks man i threw in 2 old 128mb sticks i had and it boots fine now so we are going to go buy some 1gb sticks. just out of curosity why would the ram have fixed it? was it like not able to load information it had stored or something.

The old RAM may have gone bad. This would have caused the initial problems and the failure to boot Windows.