LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best Vista 64bit Nvidia Driver? (8600M GT)

Tusin

I have a Dell M1530 with the 8600M GT and Vista 64bit on it. Having a hard time finding a driver that is stable, has good performance and not buggy.

I have tried 177.35's, which I did not perform as good as I would like (lost 5fps on a timedemo I always use for TF2), and any time I would exit or alt-tab out of TF2, my resolution would drop to 1024x768 and I would have to manually change it.

174.74's, performance was better then 177.35's. But I would get random stuttering when playing Xvid's (in both GOM and VLC), also when shutting down, I would get the odd "Shutdown Screen, Back to Desktop, Back to Shutdown screen" bug.

175.16's, performance was decent, but stuttering again when playing Xvid's, so bad that it would lead to the driver stopping to work.

So far those are the ones I have tried, any suggestions would be great. Thank you!

Dell has just released a driver to solve this 'shutdown screen' issue. umm don't think its out for the XPS series... Buts it for the 8400 and 8600 cards. Go to www.dell.com /support/ drivers.. and say your laptop is an inspiron 1700 or 1500.. Try inspiron 1700.

vista/ XP 32 bit only for the 1720... but am sure one of the range will have a 64-bit..

Edited by wook

Dell has just released a driver to solve this 'shutdown screen' issue. umm don't think its out for the XPS series... Buts it for the 8400 and 8600 cards. Go to www.dell.com /support/ drivers.. and say your laptop is an inspiron 1700 or 1500.. Try inspiron 1700.

vista/ XP 32 bit only for the 1720... but am sure one of the range will have a 64-bit..

Yeah I have been looking for the 64bit version of that driver, but no luck:(

whats with it with you guys and 177.xx drivers? just because they are newer doesnt make them better, nywayz they were originally programmed for the gtx series and other cards, i find 169.09 and 169.04 better than any 177 driver that i have used.

They are better (for the 8600m gt at least). The 8400m will be less prone to necessitated driver updates to the 177.x series.

i see... no wonder 169.xx drivers work better for me

Yeah and the 158.45's are supposed to be the point where updates stop for the 7 series although driver updates are still a plus.

lucky ppl, drivers for FX series still continue cause of mobilenvidia

cheers! :)

depending on your card, drivers are different.. this is for Tusin as he is having screen crashes. also using 64 bit.

drivers released by companies have very good video playback, and games are stable. may not be the best frame rate performance, but will run alot cooler, so overclocking will be really good.

Agreed... There's a particular driver out there for everyone.