LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Can I upgrade video on my Dell D630?

Guest Cue8Chalk

Guest Cue8Chalk

I have a D630 that I absolutely love. I just *wish* I had a better video card in it. I have the Quadro 135 NVS, which isn't too shabby with laptopvideo2go drivers, but I want something better. Does anyone know if it's an MXM card or if it can be swapped out for another video card on the Dell line? I have an Inspiron 6400 with an ATI X1400 which I wouldn't mind swapping - I just don't know if it's possible and would like to find out before I go through opening them up completely. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure Dell don't use MXM.

But... unless someone else has opened up the back of these lapops, and can answer this question completely... you'll have to check yourself.

Edited by wook

Guest Cue8Chalk
I'm pretty sure Dell don't use MXM.

But... unless someone else has opened up the back of these lapops, and can answer this question completely... you'll have to check yourself.

That's what I'm tryin to avoid lol. From the look of it you may be right. i've been searching for a pic of my laptop mobo and it looks as though the graphics chip is right on the board itself. It's hard to tell from a low-res photo, but sucks if that's the case.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest channelv
That's what I'm tryin to avoid lol. From the look of it you may be right. i've been searching for a pic of my laptop mobo and it looks as though the graphics chip is right on the board itself. It's hard to tell from a low-res photo, but sucks if that's the case.

The GPU is soldered onto the mainboard on the D630 (and D830 too), there's no way to upgrade unfortunately. I feel your pain because I have a Dell Precision M4300 which is based on the D830 including the video card, and the video card is weak! (Quadro FX 360m). If it only were at least a 128 bit part and based on the 8400m GT instead of the GS.