LaptopVideo2Go Forums

NVIDIA MOBILE GRAPHICS CARDS

Cain

I have the 8600M GT with 256 MB GDDR3.

My Laptops is ASUS G1S - X3/A3.

My boot up temp is 58 c ~ 61 c, and my idle is 68 ~ 74 c.

Gaming temps is varied and is actually dependent on my drivers, settings in the game (how hard it has to work) and the type of game.

I used RivaTuner to monitor MHz/GPU Temps/ and my Dual Core temps.

Hardcore gaming with a little OC drives my temp easily to the 97 ~ 103 C Range <- Dangerous

Hardcore gaming with no OC drives my temp easily between 88 ~ 95 C Range <- Unacceptable

Hardcore gaming with external cooling pad for my laptop is 80 ~ 85 C <- Threshold for degrading performance.

Minimal Gaming/OS/Office Use with external cooling pad gives 75 ~ 85 C <- 75 c Is optimal performance.

Recommend down clocking your card from 50 MHz - 100 MHz <- The lower clock speed takes a hit in benchmarks but if you play Counter-Strike Source/ WoW/ CoD 4 (medium - low settings) you get performance easily of 125 FPS. The temperature is the only thing that holds back the 8600M GT. If I could figure a way to run 600 MHz/1200MHz/780MHz and keep the temperature between 75 ~ 80 C I believe it would out perform the 8700M GT and perform almost on par with 8800M.

IMO I believe the Design of the 15.4" Laptop with its shared CPU/GPU heatsink/pipes and only one case fan causes severe performance degredation in the 8600M GT. I believe the 8600M GT is one of the chipsets that is affected by the temperature as everyone I have communicated with my laptop model reports the same performance/temperature issues. This is NOT a matter of Vista downclocking the card. The downclock occurs at 103-110 c temperature range for my laptop.

IF ANYONE HAS A STUTTER for 3 to 4 seconds I believe with recurring frequency in games, I believe they are having heat related issues as once I lowered my temps while playing... it solved the stutter.

I am using the latest pre-PhysX drivers

Anyone else having issues?

I am not sure precisely what cards were affected, but I do remember reading that it was "older" cards (No telling exactly what that means.) I do know I have heard about many 8600s getting way to hot like yours, however. Luckily, mine seems to run quite cool. At a 600/1200/451 overclock, it gets no higher than 70C on Crysis.

yeah i have an 8600GT, have found the same issue.

Had been overclocking it to an acceptable level. (not the the higest i could) and got fantastic performance out of it.

But recently, even when its not overclocking, its been running very hot. 93 Oc then bluescreen/ crash/ game stutters. and this is with a laptop cooler!

Dell called me today saying a technician will be at my house tomorrow to replace the heatsink/ fan. But i don't think this will solve the issue.

Edited by wook

Looking at this post is really weird because I just use the factory settings (have NEVER attempted to overclock) and am getting like 95-97 C playing WiC...

Insane, but then I never seem to have any issues (i.e. crashes, BSOD) that would seem to relate to temperatures....

Does the nTune thing not measure temp correctly because it doesn't seem like I'd have that much heat and no issues... even though I have one of those cooler rack things on the back...

I also found that while this maybe just me, running any game with any setting quality (low - high) at resolution 1680 x 1050... causes a sky rocketing temperature increase. Infact, my native is 1680 x 1050 and use that for my OS. I lowered it to 1400 x 900 or 1280 x 768 and my temperatures also dropped by 10c idle...

What the hell is going on with our cards? How could one resolution that more GPU taxing?

The only thing I can think of is that my laptop, infact all 8600 laptops, are HD Ready, designed to run in 1680 x 1050... maybe there is some extra stuff going on at this resolution on the card itself... would there be anyway to have a driver expert go through the settings individually and see if anything can corroborate that?

Is your laptop new? If it is new, the temperature won't affect you greatly.. until your card is worn out by the heat. The card is getting degraded at that temperature... no card is designed to be steadily run in the 90c+ range.

Also you might not notice performance dropping because you might be used to the low performance from the card... I was suprised at first the large fps I get in most games, even in Oblivion I can get 40-60 FPS on max settings and 1280 x 768 (No HDR).

I only noticed the low performance because I am constantly tweaking and tuning and OCing my system to get 110% efficiency out of it. I also communicate with similar setups to see if I can always one up them on performance : )

Edited by Cain

I am not sure precisely what cards were affected, but I do remember reading that it was "older" cards (No telling exactly what that means.) I do know I have heard about many 8600s getting way to hot like yours, however. Luckily, mine seems to run quite cool. At a 600/1200/451 overclock, it gets no higher than 70C on Crysis.

sometimes its to do with your processors aswell, for example amd turions run hotter than core2duos and i have amd turion and it gets to 80c fairly quickly playing crysis. but it is still stable (i have 8400m gs) the fan on your laptop works for your gpu aswell as your cpu. often decent cooling is lacking in laptops

ati vs nvidia who can win? :) :) :P :P :rofl: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :( :(

yes your card is awesome