LaptopVideo2Go Forums

More RAM worthwhile?

Andrew55

I have a dilemma! I have $300 US and I am going to the US next week. Now I have two options.

1.Buy an ipod touch for $300 US or

2.Buy 3GB Corsair DDR2-800 RAM for a little over $220 US.

Now as you can see I can't buy both. But hopefully someone can help me make the right choice.

I currently have 2GB of DDR2-667 RAM of which my GPU (Geforce 7000M) uses about 700MB in its turbocache making gaming unbearable. I am well aware that my GPU is far from the best but I am still able to play GoW on low settings at 800*600 without lag. If I put in the 3GB will I experience a noticeable performance boost or will I be playing the game at the same resolution with a small FPS increase. Please share your views as I will not be able to be able to make a very informed decision without you. Thanks!

Adding more ram to this system might help stop juddering which occurs when the harddisk has to be accessed to load data, but it will not improve your FPS by any appreciable amount. This may sound a tad harsh, but if I were you, I would take the $300 USD and start saving for a new laptop.

yeah... i don't believe you will notice any difference with the ram in game play.

- ipod touch only if you listen to music all the time/ Otherwise I agree with Mike. Either buy an MXM video card (if your laptop supports this) or save for a new laptop. for $900 US you can get a good deal.

I got my system (C2D T7250 2gHz, 3GB RAM, nV 8600mGT) for about $900 USD. It is a very good system. (Just make sure you get the LG display panel.) Also, if you buy an Intel-based system (which I highly recommend), make sure you go for the Intel wireless. It works better than Broadcom and other things like that.

Hmm.. does your laptop even support that ram? Its pretty new technology.

Thanks! I appreciate all of your answers. My laptop does support the RAM but I guess it isn't really worthwhile. Actually, I am saving for a new laptop but since I have no income besides that of my parents I am waiting for the end of the year to order an Alienware M-15x for about $2200 (C2D 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 8800M GTX) for which I have been saving a long time. I just thought that the extra RAM would give me the push that I needed to run games at a higher resolution (this is evidently not true.) Thanks again and I am considering saving my money instead!

Save the money. I dont get it, why would you update your current RAM when you're already saving up money for a new laptop..

NO NO NO ,you got it wrong,if you want better resolution your GFX must have a decent amount of DEDICATED graphics memory,not more system memory.System memory helps overall Windows performance,not games(so much).