LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XPS M170 with 7800GTX vs Inspiron 9400 with 7900GS

Jonathanchitty

I have a dilema which has been bugging me. I recently blew up my M170 GTX and have sent it back as it is under warentee. The company in question says I can swap it for an inspiron 9400 with 7900M GS or wait and get the 7800GTX replaced. The specs are as follows:

***INSPIRON 9400***

CPU: T7200 Intel Core2 Duo 2.0GHz (4MB Cache, 667MHz FSB)

Memory: 2GB (2048MB) DDR2 667MHz

Hard Drive: 100GB Serial (SATA) 7200 RPM

Display: 17.0" UltraSharp Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife

Optical Drive: Dual Layer/Dual Format DVD-ReWriter

Video: nVidia GeForce 7900M GS Graphics with 256MB Dedicated RAM

***XPS M170***

CPU: Pentium Centrino M 2.13 GHz

Memory: 2GB (2048MB) DDR2 533MHz

Hard Drive: 80GB

Display: 17.0" UltraSharp Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife

Optical Drive: Dual Layer/Dual Format DVD-ReWriter

Video: nVidia GeForce 7800MGTX Graphics with 256MB Dedicated DDR3 RAM

...now i know the Inspiron looks like it will win hands down, but the raw power of the 7800GTX is the main reason I bought a new laptop anyway. I'm just not sure if the 7900M GS will compete. I'm interested in running games like Bioshock, STALKER etc etc...and I'm also really looking forward to the prospect of DEUS EX III, however buying a laptop to play the last title is something I feel I could be waiting for a long time.

I've been looking at benchmarks and reviews of both laptops all day at work and I'm still favouring the M170 with the 7800GTX. It's great to get paid for doing that sort of research :)

....if anyone has experience using either of these laptops I would greatly appreciate advice on which model is better.

Thanks.

Jon.

i would personally go for the new inspiron because:

1) The dual core cpu will help your games greatly especially in new games such as the one you have listed.

2) uses less power than the go 7800GTX, = longer battery life and less heat than 7800GTX

3) bigger and faster hardrive for your games

4) the 7900gs is not that much slower than the 7800GTX and with a dual core cpu it may actually run your games faster than the M170

Thanks Dox, the inspiron does seem to win on all fronts aside from the GPU. The only thing I would say is that in 3dMark 06 the M170 with the 7800GTX seems to get a better score, although I don't know why that would be.

Guest jonathanchitty
i would personally go for the new inspiron because:

1) The dual core cpu will help your games greatly especially in new games such as the one you have listed.

2) uses less power than the go 7800GTX, = longer battery life and less heat than 7800GTX

3) bigger and faster hardrive for your games

4) the 7900gs is not that much slower than the 7800GTX and with a dual core cpu it may actually run your games faster than the M170

..I've decided to go for the Inspiron 9400 with the 7900M GS...hopefully it will be more future proof.

Again thanks for the advice

The first one should be better although the 7800M GTX is faster than the 7900M GS.

GS stands for graphics super, GTX stands for graphics turbo xtreme. now you know why 7800 GTX is faster