LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Intel Unveils Montevina, Centrino 2 Platform

mobilenvidia

Intel has just officially announced the Montevina mobile platform, their 5th generation of the underlying technology that makes up the company's Centrino 2 mobile architecture. Like previous iterations, the Montevina platform consists of a processor, chipset, and a specific wireless network module. New with Montevina, however, are also a fresh batch of 45nm Penryn-derived mobile processors with Front Side Bus frequencies up to 1066MHz, the Mobile 4 Express Series of chipsets, (GL40, GS45, GM45, GM47, and PM45) some with GMA X4500 DX10 graphics cores, and a number of WiFi / WiMax-enabled wireless network modules, including the Shirley Peak controller pictured here. Although we should note, Intel is still waiting on certifications from the FCC to intro some of the WiMax enabled controllers, and they won't arrive until a bit later in the year.

Notebooks based on the Montevina platform will fall under the Centrino 2 brand. And enterprise targeted notebooks with additional security and manageability features built in will carry the Centrino 2 vPro moniker. The processors for the platform don't differ much from current offerings, except for their FSB frequencies and final clock speeds. The new Mobile 4 Express Series of chipsets, however, bring a number of new features to the table. For one, the chipset's MCH can support DDR2 and DDR3 memory technologies, so high-speed DDR3 memory will be coming to the mobile space finally.

chipset_i45.jpg

For the whole atricle head on over to Hothardware

A whole heap of new laptops with new Motherboards to support the new technology.

I take it this was the news Clevo D901c owners were talking about that was going to be released.

Should now see 9800M GTX out and PCIe 2.0 interface to run it.

Things to look forward to with these CPU's:

1066Mhz FSB (finally) :) but still no Quad Core :)

3x3 11n WIFI

DDR3

Four of the six features they list there only apply if you use the Intel Integrated Graphics.

And I thought it would be a while before I wanted a new laptop. That 1066Hz FSB and DDR3 is going to be hard to resist.

Yes, I just recently got a Santa Rosa laptop, too.

but still no Quad Core :P

"quad core"?!? 4 wat? +5fps in crysis? :P only reason 2 bui "multi core cpu" iz if u r encoding video/audio , photoshop, etc...

still best processor 4 nau iz - Cell

w8 4 Larabee - it will b powah!!1 :) :)

Edited by F3nNec

My quad cores get some nice exercise in UT3.

I'm already rocking 1066 FSB. Also already have HDCP support.

I think we will hear about the 9800M GTX at the end of this month.

Clevo desktop chipsets FTW!

Cell is NOT the best processor for gaming. Look at this article from ArsTechnica.

R U RETARDED?!? not processor 4 gaming? look at PlayStation 3 it pwnz all ur rigz for 8 yearz and will compete with xbox 720!11 STFU about 360, microsoft, xbox and all that "sh itty stuff for kidz" CELL FTW!!

btw ur "nerdy" article iz tooooo old sorry, we live in 2008 =)

Edited by F3nNec

No, I am not pitting the PS3 and the XB360. I am comparing the Cell/Xenon processor architecture to that of the Intel Core/Core 2. The article may be old, but that just reinforces the fact that PCs are getting better all the time, where game systems are updated only once-in-a-while. (But when game systems are updated, new games are not compatible with old systems. Many new games will still run on PCs a few years old.) Also, if the PowerPC architecture used in Cell and Xenon chips was better than the Intel x86/x86-64 architecture, then why did Apple just switch from PowerPC to Intel? By the way, I am not retarded. In fact, far from it.

No, I am not pitting the PS3 and the XB360. I am comparing the Cell/Xenon processor architecture to that of the Intel Core/Core 2. The article may be old, but that just reinforces the fact that PCs are getting better all the time, where game systems are updated only once-in-a-while. (But when game systems are updated, new games are not compatible with old systems. Many new games will still run on PCs a few years old.) Also, if the PowerPC architecture used in Cell and Xenon chips was better than the Intel x86/x86-64 architecture, then why did Apple just switch from PowerPC to Intel? By the way, I am not retarded. In fact, far from it.

*flame suit on*

Edited by F3nNec

Well, saying that consoles are better than PCs on a PC forum is just asking to be flamed.

"but still no Quad Core" Ask and you shall receive.. but at a very hefty price point.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 priced at 1100-1400 US depending on where you read about it.

I should add the QX9300 is not out yet but due in the 3rd quarter this year.